M. D., Principle Investigator
Laboratory of Inflammation and Immune Regulation
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
Our lab focuses on the molecular mechanisms of inflammation and immune regulation, preliminary based on intestinal immunity context. We study the function of innate immune system and adaptive immune system under the steady state and inflammatory status, particularly the cross-talk among the immune cells in the intestine; the cross-talk between immune cells and commensals, and the significance of intestinal immunity to diseases.
1) Examine the molecular mechanisms of the development of group 3 Innate lymphoid cells (ILC3).
2) Examine the cross-talk between ILC3 and other immune cell types.
3) Determine the relationship between ILC3 and commensals.
4) Determine the significance of ILC3 to diseases.
Major Research Achievement
Group 3 Innate lymphoid cell (ILC3) is important for maintaining intestinal immune surveillance and immune regulation. We have found that aryl hydrocarbon receptor (Ahr), a nuclear transcription factor, is essential for the development and function of ILC3. Particularly, Ahr is required for maintenance of adult ILC3s and their IL-22 production, which is important for the clearance of pathogens in the intestine. In addition, ILC3 can inhibit the expansion of segmented filamentous bacteria (SFB), a commensal that can induce Th17 cell mediated inflammatory responses. Thus, ILC3 also plays immune regulatory role by inhibiting autoimmunity. Besides, Ahr regulates the function of Tregs through multiple mechanisms. We are interested in understanding the intricate mechanisms of inflammation and immune regulation, mediated mainly by ILC3 and its cross-talk with other cell types.
2004-2009 Ph. D. Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine/ Shanghai Institute for Biological sciences, Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai, China
1999-2004: B.S. Taishan Medical College
Major Academic Appointments
2014.2-Present: Principle Investigator, Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
2009.11-2014.2: Postdoctoral Fellow, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, USA.
2009.4-2009.11: Postdoctoral Fellow, Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, New York, USA
Honors, Certificates, and Academic Society
2014: Recipient of the Recruitment Program of Global Experts (Young Program)
- Xiaohuan Guo, Ju Qiu, Tony Tu, Liufu Deng, Robert A. Anders, Liang Zhou, Yang-Xin Fu. Differential STAT3 signaling in innate lymphoid cells mediates host defense against mucosal infection. Immunity. 2014 40: 25
- Ju Qiu and Liang Zhou. Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Promotes RORγt+ ILCs and Controls Intestinal Immunity and Inflammation 2013 35: 657 Seminars in Immunopathology
- Ju Qiu, Xiaohuan Guo, Zong-ming E Chen, Aki Ueda, Lei He, Gregory F. Sonnenberg, David Artis, Yang-Xin Fu, and Liang Zhou. Innate Lymphoid Cells Inhibit T Cell-mediated Intestinal Inflammation through Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Pathway and Microflora. Immunity. 2013 Aug 14 (Epub ahead of print)
- Hanh Chi Do-Umehara, Cong Chen, Daniela Urich, Liang Zhou, Ju Qiu, Samuel Jang, Alia Zander, Margaret A Baker, Martin Eilers, Peter H S Sporn, Karen M Ridge, Jacob I Sznajder, G R Scott Budinger, Gökhan M Mutlu, Anning Lin and Jing Liu. Suppression of inflammation and acute lung injury by Miz1 via repression of C/EBP-δ. Nat Immunol. 2013 May;14: 461-9
- Ju Qiu, Jennifer J. Heller, Xiaohuan Guo, Zong-ming E Chen, Kamonwan Fish, Yang-Xin Fu and Liang Zhou The Aryl hydrocarbon receptor regulates gut immunity through modulation of RORγt+ innate lymphoid cells. Immunity 2012 Dec 14. (Impact Factor: 21)
- Jennifer Heller, Ju Qiu and Liang Zhou. Nuclear receptors take center stage in Th17 cell-mediated autoimmunity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation 2011 121: 519-21
- Yiping Ren, Limin Lu, Taylor B. Guo, Ju Qiu, Yiqing Yang, Ailian Liu and Jingwu Z. Zhang Novel immunomodulatory properties of berbamine through selective down-regulation of STAT4 and action of IFN-γ in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. The Journal of Immunology 2008 181:1491-8
- Yufeng Shi, Yan Feng, Jiuhong Kang, Chang Liu, Zhenxin Li, Dangsheng Li, Wei Cao, Ju Qiu, Zhengliang Guo, Enguang Bi, Lei Zang, Chuanzhen Lu, Jingwu Z Zhang & Gang Pei Critical regulation of CD4+ T cell survival and autoimmunity by β-arrestin 1. Nature Immunology 2007 8:817-24
- Zhaojun Wang*, Ju Qiu*, Taylor B. Guo, Ailian Liu, Ying Wang, Yin Li and Jingwu Z. Zhang Anti-inflammatory properties and regulatory mechanism of a novel derivative of artemisinin in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. The Journal of Immunology 2007 179:5958-65 *equal contributions