Ph.D., Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Stem Cell Research
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
Dr. Jin’s group is interested in:
1) identification and investigation of critical signaling pathways and intrinsic factors controlling the cell fate determination of pluripotent cells;
2) the molecular mechanisms underlying somatic reprogramming and modeling disease using disease iPS cell lines;
3) understanding how early neural differentiation is induced in human pluripotent stem cells.
Major Research Achievement
The grouphas established 7 human ESC lines, including 3 lines generated under a xeno-free condition. Of these cell lines, SHhES1 and SHhES2were used in a global study organized by the International Stem Cell Initiative and related data were published in Nature Biotechnology 2011. Recently, they also generated induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) from mouse and human somatic cells. In particular, they derived human iPSC lines using fetal cells from amniotic fluid efficiently. Moreover, they established human iPSC lines using patients’ samples. With these pluripotent cell lines, the group has set up a robust neural differentiation protocol, which will be used to explore the regulation of transition from pluripotent state into the neural epithelium.
Self-renewal and pluripotency are hallmarks of embryonic stem cells (ESCs). However, the signaling pathways that trigger their transition from self-renewal to differentiation remain elusive. They identify that calcineurin-NFAT signaling is both necessary and sufficient to switch ESCs from an undifferentiated state to lineage-specific cells and that the inhibition of this pathway can maintain long-term ESC self-renewal independent of leukemia inhibitory factor. The results demonstrate that the NFAT and Erk1/2 cascades form a signaling switch for early lineage segregation in mouse ESCs.
To explore the genetic basis of human early embryonic development, Dr. Jin’s group we used microarray to detect and analyze gene expression of the post-implantation human embryos at six successive developmental stages from Carnegie stage 9 to 14, spanning the period from the onset of organogenesis to formation of primordia of the most organs. The study provides us a great amount of information of temporal and genome-wide gene expression patterns of human embryo development.
The group has made great efforts to elucidate the regulatory mechanism of key transcription factor Oct4-centered core transcriptional circuitry for ES cell fate decision. Their studies 1) identify the posttranslational ubiquitin and SUMO modification of Oct4 by Wwp2 and Ubc9;2) reveal that PARP1 can Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ate Sox2 to control Sox2 protein levels and FGF4 expression during ES cell differentiation;3) uncover critical roles of coactivator p300 in mouse ES cell differentiation and nanog expression;4) identify a new Oct4 target gene, Stk40, which links the pluripotency factor Oct4 to the Erk/ MAPK pathway; 5) report the important roles of nucleolar proteins for controlling self-renewal and differentiation in ES cells.
1983-1988 Ph.D., Pharmacology/Pathophysiology, Peking Union Medical College (PUMC)
and Chinese Academy of Medical Science (CAMS) Beijing, China
1977-1983 M.D., China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Major Academic Appointments
2001.09-Present Head of Stem Cell Research Lab, Institute of Health Science
Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, CAS / Shanghai JiaoTong University of Medicine, China
1999.09-Present Shanghai JiaoTong University of Medicine, China
1994.09-1998.01 Research fellow, Molecular Immunology Center, Department of Microbiology,
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
1988.10-1994.09 Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Pharmacology, The University of North Texas Health Science Center,
Fort Worth, Texas
Honors, Certificates, and Academic Society
1988-1994 Achievement award in ocular Pharmacology, University of North Texas, Health Science Center, Texas
1995.6.1 CA09082-20, NIH cancer immunology training grant
The association for research in vision and ophthalmology (ARVO) travel fellowship for the 1993 annual meeting in Sarasota, Florida.
ISSCR members 2003, 2004, 2005
- Zhou C, Yang X, Sun Y, Yu H, Zhang Y, Jin Y. (2016) Comprehensive profiling reveals mechanisms of SOX2-mediated cell fate specification in human ESCs and NPCs. Cell Res. 26(2):171-189.
- Sun M, Liao B, Tao Y, Chen H, Xiao F, Gu JJ, Gao SR and Jin Y*. (2016) Calcineurin-NFAT Signaling Controls Somatic Cell Reprogramming in a Stage-Dependent Manner. J Cell Physiol. 231(5):1151-62.
- Qu Z, Guan Y, Cui L, Song J, Gu J, Zhao H, Xu L, Lu L, Jin Y* and Xu G*. (2015) Transplantation of rat embryonic stem cell-derived retinal progenitor cells preserves the retinal structure and function in rat retinal degeneration. Stem Cell Research & Therapy. 2015 Nov 9;6:219.
- Yu H, He K, Wang L, Hu J, Gu J, Zhou C, Lu R, Jin Y*. (2015) Stk40 represses adipogenesis through translational control of CCAAT/enhancer-binding proteins. J Cell Sci. 2015 Aug 1;128(15):2881-90.
- Zhu L, Zhang S and Jin Y*. (2014) Foxd3 suppresses NFAT-mediated differentiation to maintain self-renewal of embryonic stem cells. EMBO Rep. 15:1286-96.
- Wei Z, Sun M, Liu X, Zhang J and Jin Y*. (2014) Rufy3, a protein specifically expressed in neurons, interacts with actin-bundling protein Fascin to control the growth of axons. J Neurochemistry. 2014 Sep;130(5):678-92.
- Luo X, Wang B, Tang F, Zhang J, Zhao Y, Li H*, Jin Y*. (2014) Wwp2 targets SRG3, a scaffold protein of the SWI/SNF-like BAF complex, for ubiquitination and degradation. BBRC. 443:1048-10532.281
- Guan Y, Cui L, Qu Z, Lu L, Wang F, Wu Y, Zhang J, Gao F, Tian H, Xu L, Xu G, Li W*, Jin Y* and Xu G*. (2013) Subretinal transplantation of rat MSCs and erythropoietin gene modified rat MSCs for protecting and rescuing degenerative retina in rats. Cur Mol Med. 13:1419-1431.
- Yang H, Liu Z, Ma Y, Zhong C, Yin Q, Zhou C, Shi D, Cai Y, Zhao H, Wang H, Tang F, Wang Y, Zhang C, Lai D, Jin Y*, Sun Q*, Li J*. (2013) Generation of haploid embryonic stem cells from Macacafascicularis monkey parthenotes. Cell Res. 23:1187-1200.
- Zhou Y, Jiang H, Gu J, Tang Y, Shen N and Jin Y*. (2013) MicroRNA-195 targets ADP-ribosylation factor like protein 2 inducing apoptosis in human embryonic stem cell-derived neural progenitor cells. Cell Death & Disease. 4:e695.
- Cui L, Guan Y, Qu Z, Zhang J, Liao B, Ma B, Qian J, Li D, Li W, Xu G* and Jin Y* (2013) Wnt signaling determines tumorigenicity and function of ESC-derived retinal progenitors. J Clin Inv. 123: 1647:1661.
- Liao B, Zhong, X, Xu H, Xiao F, Fang Z, Gu J, Chen Y, Zhao Y and Jin Y* (2013) Itch, an E3 ligase of Oct4, is required for embryonic stem cell self-renewal and pluripotency induction. J Cell Physiol. 228: 1443-1451.
- Yu H, He K, Li L, Sun L, Tang F, Li R, Ning W and Jin Y* (2013) Deletion of Stk40 in the mouse causes respiratory failure and death at birth. J Bio Chem. 288: 5342-5352.
- Ma Y, Li C, Gu J, Tang F, Li C, Li P, Ping P, Yang S, Li Z* and Jin Y* (2012) Aberrant gene expression profiles in pluripotent stem cells induced fro fibroblasts of a Klinefelter syndrome patient. J Bio Chem. 287: 38970-38979.
- Ma Y, Gu J, Li C, Wei X, Tang F, Shi G, Jiang J, Kuang J, Li J, Wang Z, Xie X and Jin Y* (2012) Human foreskin fibroblast produces interleukin-6 to support derivation and self-renewal of mouse embryonic stem cells. Stem Cell Res & Ther. 3: 29.
- Zhang H, Ma Y, Gu J, Liao B, Li J, Wong J*, Jin Y*. (2012) Reprogramming of somatic cells via TAT-mediated protein transduction of recombinant factors. Biomaterials. 33(20):5047-55.
- Yang A, Shi G, Zhou C, Lu R, Jin Y*. (2011) Nucleolin maintains embryonic stem cell self-renewal by suppression of the p53-dependent pathway. J Biol Chem. 286 (50):43370-43382.
- Shi G, Gao F and Jin Y*. (2011) The regulatory role of histone deacetylase inhibitors in Fgf4 expression is dependent on the differentiation state of pluripotent stem cells. J Cell Physiol. 226:3190-3196.
- Lu R, Yang A and Jin Y*. (2011) Dual functions of T-box3 in the control of self-renewal and extraembryonic endoderm differentiation in mouse embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem. 286 (10):8425-8436.
- Li X, Zhu L, Yang A, Lin J, Tang F, Jin S, Wei Z, Li J and Jin Y*. (2011) Calcineurin-NFAT signaling critical regulates early lineage specification in mouse embryonic stem cells and embryos. Cell Stem Cell. 8:46-58.
- Fang H, Yang Y, Li C, Fu S, Yang Z, Jin G, Wang, K, Zhang J*, Jin Y*. (2010) Transcriptome analysis of early organogenesis in human embryos. Developmental Cell. 19:174-184.
- Li C, Yang Y, Lu X, Sun Y, Gu J, Feng Y, Jin Y*. (2010) Efficient derivation of Chinese human embryonic stem cell lines from frozen embryos. In vitro Cell & Dev. Biol.–Animal. 46: 186-191.
- Li L, Sun L, Gao F, Jiang J, Yang Y, Li C, Gu J, Wei Z, Yang A, Lu R, Ma Y, Tang F, Kwon S, Zhao Y, Li S, Jin Y*. (2010) Stk40 links the pluripotency factor Oct4 to the Erk/MAPK pathway and controls extraembryonic endoderm differentiation. PNAS. 107(4):1402-1407.
- Liao B and Jin Y*. (2010) Wwp2 mediates Oct4 ubiquitination and its auto-ubiquitination in a dosage-dependent manner. Cell Res. 20 (3): 332-344.
- Li C, Yu H, Ma Y, Shi G, Jiang J, Gu J, Yang Y, Jin S, Wei Z, Jiang H, Li J, Jin Y*. (2009) Germline-competent mouse-induced pluripotent stem cell lines generated on human fibroblasts without exogenous leukemia inhibitory factor. PLoS One. 4(8):e6724.
- Li C, Zhou J, Shi G, Ma Y, Yang Y, Gu J, Yu H, Jin S, Wei Z, Chen F, Jin Y*. (2009) Pluripotency can be rapidly and efficiently induced in human amniotic fluid-derived cells. Hum Mol Genet. 18(22):4340-9.
- Gao F, Kwon SW, Zhao Y, Jin Y*. (2009) PARP1 poly(ADP-ribosyl)ates Sox2 to control Sox2 protein levels and FGF4 expression during embryonic stem cell differentiation. J Biol Chem. 284(33):22263-73.
- Li H, Wang B, Yang A, Lu R, Wang W, Zhou Y, Shi G, Kwon SW, Zhao Y, Jin Y*. (2009) Ly-1 antibody reactive clone is an important nucleolar protein for control of self-renewal and differentiation in embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 27(6):1244-1254.
- Xu H, Wang W, Li C, Yu H, Yang A, Wang B, Jin Y*. (2009) WWP2 promotes degradation of transcription factor OCT4 in human embryonic stem cells. Cell Res. 19(5):561-573.
- Zhong X, Jin Y*. (2009) Critical roles of coactivator p300 in mouse embryonic stem cell differentiation and Nanog expression. J Biol Chem. 284(14):9168-9175.
- Li C, Yang Y, Gu J, Ma Y, Jin Y*. (2009) Derivation and transcriptional profiling analysis of pluripotent stem cell lines from rat blastocysts. Cell Res. 19(2):173-186.