Ph.D., Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Immunohematology
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
1. Mechanism of cellular migration and induction of immune tolerance in bone marrow and organ transplantation;
2. Mechanism of DC and chemokine regulation in autoimmune disease and inflammation;
3. Development, differentiation and mobilization of DC and DC vaccine.
Major Research Achievement
1. Original contribution to the understanding of the role of IDO+DCs and overexpression of TTS on Synovial Fluid T cells in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) (Representative publication: The Journal of Immunology).
2. Crucial research on mobilization and development of DC (Representative publications: Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Blood, Journal of Experimental Medicine).
3. Important explanation on the mechanism of acute renal failure in murine model (Representative publication: Experimental and Molecular Pathology).
2002-2003 Fellow, School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan Immunohematology
2001-2002 Postdoc, School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan Molecular Immunology
1998-2001 Ph.D., School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan Molecular Immunology
1993-1996 Master, School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan Immunohematology
1978-1983 M.D., Faculty of Medicine, Soochow University, China. Clinical Medicine
Major Academic Appointments
2002 Principal Investigator, Institute of Health Sciences, SIBS, CAS / Shanghai JiaoTong University School of Medicine, China
1998 Research Associate, Department of Molecular Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan
1996 Visiting Scientist, Department of Molecular Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan
1993 Instructor, Department of Immunology, Soochow University, China
1990 Instructor, Department of Histology and Embryology, Soochow University, China
Honors, Certificates, and Academic Society
2006 Scientific and technical achievement authentication titled "Study on the mechanism of umbilical cord stem cells in immune escape."
2005 Shanghai Bai-yu-lan Prize
2003 The Outstanding Research Award in the University of Tokyo, Japan.
2000 Research Award for graduate Students at Graduate School, the University of Tokyo, Japan.
1999 The second Prize of JiangSu Scientific Technology Progress.
- Mao C, Wang S, Xiao Y, Xu J, Jiang Q, Jin M, Jiang X, Guo H, Ning G, Zhang Y*. Impairment of Regulatory Capacity of CD4+CD25+ Regulatory T Cells Mediated by Dendritic Cell Polarization and Hyperthyroidism in Graves’ Disease. The Journal of Immunology. 2011, 186(8): 4734-43.
- Zhao F, Zhang Y, Wang H, Jin M, S, He S, Shi Y, Guo Y and Zhang Y*. Blockade of osteopontin reduces alloreactive CD8+ T cell-mediated graft-versus-host disease. Blood. 2011, 1179(5):1723-33.
- Zhang C, Hao L, Wang L, Xiao Y, Ge H, Zhu Z, Luo Y, Zhang Y and Zhang Y*. Elevated IGFIR expression regulating VEGF and VEGF-C predicts lymph node etastasis in human colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer. 2010, 10:184-95.
- Cao Q, Jin Y, Jin M, He S, Gu Q, He S, Qiu Y, Ge H, Yoneyama H, Zhang Y*. Therapeutic effect of MIP-1alpha-recruited dendritic cells on preestablished solid and metastatic tumors. Cancer Letters. 2010, 295(1):17-26.
- Xiao Y, Xu J, Wang S, Mao C, Jin M, Ning G, Xu J, Zhang Y*. Genetic ablation of steroid receptor coactivator-3 promotes PPAR-beta-mediated alternative activation of microglia in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Glia. 2010, 58(8):932-42.
- Xiao Y, Xu J, Mao C, Jin M, Wu Q, Zou J, Gu Q, Zhang Y, Zhang Y*. 18β-glycyrrhetinic acid ameliorated Propionibacterium acnes-induced acute liver injury through inhibition of MIP-1α. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2010, 285(2):1128-37.
- He S, Cao Q, Qiu Y, Mi J, Zhang J Z, Matsushima K, Jin M, Ge H, Emerson S, Zhang Y and Zhang Y*. A new approach of blocking alloreactive T cell-mediated GVHD by in vivo administration of anti-CXCR3 neutralizing antibody. The Journal of Immunology. 2008, 181(11):7581-92.
- He S, Cao Q, Yoneyama H, Ge H, Zhang Y*. MIP-3(alpha) and MIP-1(alpha) rapidly mobilize dendritic cell precursors into the peripheral blood. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2008, 84(6):1549-56.
- Xiao Y, Zhang Y*. Suppressor of cytokine signaling-1, a possible cause for regulatory T cells in hepatitis. Hepatology. 2008, 48(4):1353.
- Xu J, Zhou T, Zhang Y*. Role of dendritic cells and chemokines in acute graft-versus-host disease. Frontiers in bioscience. 2008, 13:2065-74.
- Hao L, Zhang C, Qiu Y, Wang L, Luo Y, Jin M, Zhang Y, Guo B, Matsushima K, Zhang Y*. Recombination of CXCR4, VEGF, and MMP-9 predicting lymph node metastasis in human breast cancer. Cancer Letters. 2007, 253(1):34-42.
- Zhu L, Ji F, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Liu Q, Zhang J Z, Matsushima K, Zhang D, Zhang Y*. Synovial autoreactive T cells in rheumatoid arthritis resist indoleamine IDO-mediated inhibition. The Journal of Immunology. 2006, 177(11):8226-33.
- Yoneyama H, Matsuno K, Zhang Y, Nishiwaki T, Kitabatake M, et al. Evidence for recruitment of plasmacytoid dendritic cell precursors to inflamed lymph nodes through high endothelial venules. International Immunology. 2004, 16(7):915-28.
- Zhang Y, Yoneyama H, Wang Y, Onai N, Ishikawa S, et al. Mobilization of dendritic cell precursors into the circulation by administration of MIP-1α in mice. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2004, 96(3):201-9.
- Wang Y, Zhang Y, Onai N, Yoneyama H, Hashimoto S, et al. Identification of CD8+CD11c- phenotype-negative cells in the spleen as committed precursor of CD8+ dendritic cells. Blood. 2002, 96(3):201-9.
- Yoneyama H, Narumi S, Zhang Y, Murai M, Baggiolini M, et al. Pivotal role of dendritic cell-derived CXCL 10 in the retention of T helper cell 1 lymphocytes in the secondary lymph nodes. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2002, 195(10):1257-66.
- Onai N, Kitabatake M, Zhang Y, Kitamura T, Ishikawa H, et al. Pivotal role of CCL25 (TECK)/CCR9 in the formation of gut cryptopatches and consequent appearance of intestinal intraepithelial T lymphocytes. International Immunology. 2002, 14:687
- Yoneyama H, Matsuno K, Zhang Y, Murai M, Itakura M, et al. Regulation by chemokines of circulating dendritic cell precursors, and the formation of portal tract-associated lymphoid tissue, in a granulomatous liver disease. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2001, 193(1):35-49.
- Zhang Y, Wang Y, Ogata M, Hashimoto S, et al. Development of dendritic cells in vitro from murine fetal liver-derived lineage phenotype-negative c-kit+ hematopoietic progenitor cells. Blood. 2000, 95(1):138-46.
- Onai N, Zhang Y, Yoneyama H, Kitamura T and Matsushima K. Impairment of Lymphopoiesis and myelopoiesis in mice reconstituted with bone marrow-hematopoietic progenitor cells expressing SDF-1-Intrakine. Blood. 2000, 96(6):2074-80.
- Zhang Y, Zhang Y, Ogata M, Chen P, Harada A, et al. Transforming growth factor-polarizes murine hematopoietic progenitor cells to generate Langerhans cell-like dendritic cells through monocyte/macrophage differentiation pathway. Blood. 1999, 93(4):1208-20.
- Ogata M, Zhang Y, Wang Y, Itakura M, Zhang Y, et al. Chemotactic response toward chemokines and its regulation by transforming growth factor-β1 of bone marrow hematopoietic progenitor cell-derived different subset of dendritic cells. Blood. 1999, 93(10):3225-32.
- Zhang Y, Harada A, Wang J-B, Zhang Y, Hashimoto S, et al. Bifurcated dendritic cell differentiation in vitro from murine lineage phenotype-negative c-kit+ bone marrow hematopoietic progenitor cells. Blood. 1998, 92(1):118-28.
Invited reviews, comments and book chapters
1. Xu J, Zhou T, Zhang Y*. Role of dendritic cells and chemokines in acute graft-versus-host disease. Frontiers in bioscience. 13:2065, 2008
2. Wu Y, Wang L, Zhang Y*. Dendritic Cells as Vectors for Immunotherapy of Tumor and Its Application for Gastric Cancer Therapy. Cellular
& Molecular Immunology. 1:351, 2004
3. Sun K, Wang L, Zhang Y*. Dendritic Cells as therapeutic vaccines against tumors and its role in therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
Cellular & Molecular Immunology. 3: 2006
4. Zhang Y. Principles of Immunology (Editor). Shanghai science and technology literature press.