Ph.D., Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Pharmacogenomics
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
1. Identification and characterization of cis-acting elements in untranslated region (UTR) of early response genes involved in carcinogenesis and immune response;
2. Post-transcriptional regulation of immediate early genes response to drug treatment;
3. Analysis of post-transcriptional mechanism activated by signal transduction pathway that regulates gene expression.
4. Development of novel strategy for ligand screening on expressed drug target protein.
Major Research Achievement
1. Elucidated the functional role of recombinant neuronal calcium channel in excitation - secretion coupling by cloning and expression of the alpha subunit (Representative publication: Journal of Biological Chemistry).
2. Accomplished the cloning and characterization of non-neuronal Hu protein involved in the regulation of gene expression at the post -transcriptional level. Demonstrated the coupled interactions between Hu protein, cis-acting RNA regulatory element and polyA (Representative publications: Journal of Biological Chemistry, Nucleic Acids Research, and Human Genetics)
3. Explored the post-transcriptional regulatory mechanism of Hu proteins and their roles in cancer cells (Representative publication: Cancer Research).
4. Developed strategy to categorize a new OLF gene subfamily by phylogenetic analysis and identified novel secreted glycoprotein of the subfamily (Representative publications: 2 papers on FEBS Letters).
1981-1985 B.S., Biochemistry Nanjing University, China
1985-1988 Graduate Student, Neuropharmacology Shanghai Institute of Material Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Major Academic Appointments
1989-1993 Ph.D., Molecular Pharmacology Shanghai Institute of Material Medica, and University of Michigan joint training program
1995-1998 Postdoc, Molecular Biology Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA
- Wei Y, Xiao Q, Zhang T, Mou Z, You J, Ma WJ. Differential regulation of mRNA stability controls the transient expression of genes encoding Drosophila antimicrobial peptide with distinct immune response characteristics. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 Oct;37(19):6550-61.
- Kong B, Liu H, Yang SL, Ma WJ. Large recombinant protein displayed on filamentous phage surface and its interaction with small molecule. Chinese Journal of Biotechnology
. 2006 Jan;22(1):19-25.
- Bo Kong, Weijun Ma. Display of aggregation-prone ligand binding domain of human PPAR gamma on surface of bacteriophage lambda. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2006 Jan;27(1):91-9.
- Lingchun Zeng, Zeguang Han, Weijun Ma. Elucidation of subfamily segregation and intramolecular coevolution of the olfactomedin-like proteins by comprehensive phylogenetic analysis and gene expression pattern assessment. FEBS Lett. 2005 Oct 24;579(25):5443-53.
- Yue Li, Zhaozhao Jiang, Haixu Chen, Waikeung Leung, Joseph JY Sung, Weijun Ma. The existence of a putative regulatory element in 3´-untranslated region of the proto-oncogene hox11 mRNA. J Biochem Mol Biol. 2005 Jul 31;38(4):500-6.
- Yue Li, Zhaozhao Jiang, Haixu Chen, Weijun Ma. A modified quantitative EMSA and its application in the study of RNA-protein interactions. J Biochem Biophys Methods. 2004 Aug 31;60(2):85-96.
- Lingchun Zeng, Feng Liu, Xin Zhang, Zhidong Zhu, Zhiqin Wang, Zeguang Han, Weijun Ma. hOLF44, a secreted glycoprotein with distinct expression pattern, belongs to an uncharacterized olfactomedin-like subfamily newly identified by phylogenetic analysis. FEBS Lett. 2004 Jul 30;571(1-3):74-80.
- Haixu Chen, Yue Li, Zhaozhao Jiang, Xianming Qu, Shengli Yang, Weijun Ma. The existence of a putative post-transcriptional regulatory element in 3´-UTR of Drosophila antibacterial peptide diptericin´s mRNA. FEBS Lett. 2004 Mar 12;561(1-3):181-5.
- Weijun Ma, Chung S, Furneaux H.. The Elav-like proteins bind to AU-rich elements and to the poly(A) tail of mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997 Sep 15;25(18):3564-9.
- Enhong Wang, Wei-Jun Ma, Carol Aghajanian, and David R. Spriggs. Post transcriptional regulation of protein expression in human epithelial carcinoma cells by AU-rich elements in the 3´UTR of TNF- mRNA. Cancer Research. 1997. 57:5426-5433.
- Weijun Ma, Henry Furneaux. Localization of the human HuR gene to chromosome 19p13.2. Hum Genet. 1997 Jan;99(1):32-3.
- Weijun Ma, Simon Cheng, Chris Campbell, Anne Wright, Henry Furneaux. Cloning and characterization of HuR, a ubiquitously expressed Elav-like protein. J Biol Chem. 1996 Apr 5;271(14):8144-51.
- Weijun Ma, Ronald W. Holz, Michael D. Uhler. Expression of a cDNA for a neuronal calcium channel alpha 1 subunit enhances secretion from adrenal chromaffin cells. J Biol Chem. 1992 Nov 15;267(32):22728-32.