M.D., Ph.D., Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Neurogenomics
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
The advances in neuroscience have led to better diagnosis and treatment of human neurological diseases, and new insights into the effective control of neurodegenerative disorders, particularly in dementia, Parkinsonism, and ALS. The primary goal of Dr. Le′s group is to continue these advances through basic research of gene expression and regulation in dopamine neuronal development, functional maintenance, and neuronal injury and death, dopaminergic stem cells and cell lines, mutations and immunopathology associated with Parkinson′s disease, neuroprotection mechanism of dopaminergic agonists, cellular and molecular mechanisms of ?-amyloid induced neuronal injury, and immunotherapy for Alzheimer′s disease. His group′s second goal is to integrate them into clinical research of neurological diseases
Major Research Achievement
1. Identify Nurr1 gene as a regulatory transcriptional factor dictating nigral dopamine neuron development and differentiation; uncover TopII b as a novel down-stream gene of Nurr1; discover several variants of Nurr1 gene associated with Parkinson’s disease.
2. Establish a differentiation-platform from ES cells to dopamine neurons; generate a novel iPS cell model mimicking the pathogenesis of AD; discover a novel mechanism to prevent and eliminate teratoma formation during ES cells differentiation and transplantation.
3. First report that autophagy dysfunction and autophagic fusion protein defects in several neurodegenerative diseases, including PD, AD and ALS.
4. Develop immune/inflammation mediated nigral dopaminergic injury animal model and identify microglial activation is a critical cellular and molecular mechanism; generate a first hybrid dopaminergic cell line named MES23.5, which have been used by over 40 research laboratories world-wide; develop a sensitive and rapid method to assay tyrosine hydroxylase activity.
5. Demonstrate that hypoxia is a risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease and reveal several epigenetic factors involved the hypoxia-induced A-β neuropathy; find that β-amyloid can autocrine the increase of βAPP production and tau phosphorylation, leading to neuron degeneration.
1978: M.D., Medicine, Suzhou Medical College, China
1984: M.S., Neurology, Shanghai Second Medical University, China
1987: Ph.D., Neurology, Shanghai Second Medical University, China
1988: Postdoctoral, Neurology, Shanghai Second Military Medical University
1989: Postdoctoral, Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, USA
BCM Office of Continuing Education Certificates of ACCME for Current Neurology at Houston, Marriott Medical Center Hotel in 1996-1998.
Major Academic Appointments
2003-present: Professor and Principal Investigator, Institute of Health Sciences
2005-present: Professor, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine
2000-2005: Associate Professor, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine
1993-2000: Assistant Professor (tenure-track), Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine
1992-1993: Instructor, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine
1987-1988: Instructor and Attending Physician, Department of Neurology, Shanghai Second Military Medical University
1983-1984: Instructor and Attending Physician, Department of Neurology, Suzhou Medical College
2003-present: Guest Professor, Wenzhou Medical College China
2000-present: Guest Professor, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
2000-present: Guest Professor, Suzhou Medical College, Suzhou, China
Honors, Certificates, and Academic Society
1987: Pharmacology, Outstanding junior Pharmacologists, awarded by Society of Chinese.
1987: Outstanding dissertation of Ph.D graduate titled "Dynamic changes of dopamine receptors following long-term use of L-SPD and other dopaminergic agonists", awarded by Chinese Education Ministry.
1988: Outstanding presentation, International Pharmacologists Conference of Asia and Pacific regions Awarded by Conference Academic Committee.
1999: Travel grant award to the 13th International Congress on Parkinson′s disease in Vancouver, Canada.
1984-Present: Member of Neurology Society, Chinese Medical Association
1986-Present: Member of Neuroscience Society, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1991-Present: Member of American Society for Neuroscience
1997-Present: Member of Movement Disorder Society
2000-Present: Member of American Academy of Neurology
Reviewer for Journal of Life Science
Reviewer for Journal of Analytical Biochemistry
Reviewer for Journal of Neurological Genetics
Reviewer for Journal of American Human Genetics
Reviewer for Journal of Neuroscience
Reviewer for Movement Disorders
Reviewer for Neuroscience Letter
Reviewer for Cell Research
Member of Editorial Board: Neurology and Neuro-rehabilitation (Chinese)
Member of Editorial Board: Journal of Neuroscience (Chinese)
Member of Editorial Board: Chinese medical Journal (English)
Member of Editorial Board: New Drugs and Remedy (Chinese)
Scientific Panel Reviewer for NIH SBIR/STTR research program
Scientific Panel Reviewer for VA research program
Scientific Panel Reviewer for Neuroscience Program of Singapore Academy of Sciences
Scientific Panel Reviewer for Neuroscience Program of Chinese Nature Science Foundation
Scientific Panel Reviewer for NIH SBIR/STTR research program
- Zhang XJ, Chen S, Song L, Tang Y, Shen YF, Li J, Le W (2014) MTOR-independent, autophagic enhancer trehalose prolongs motor neuron survival and ameliorates the autophagic flux defect in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Autophagy. Epub.
- Yang DH, Li T, Xu M, Gao F, Yang J, Yang Z, Le W (2014). Graphene oxide promotes the differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells to dopamine neurons. Nanomedicine. Epub.
- Tang Y, Li T, Li J, Yang J, Liu H, Zhang XJ, Le W (2014) Jmjd3 is essential for the epigenetic modulation of microglia phenotypes in the immune pathogenesis of Parkinson’s disease. Cell Death Differ. 21(3):369-80.
- Le W, Sayana P, Jankovic J. (2014) Animal Models of Parkinson’s Disease: A Gateway to Therapeutics? Neurotherapeutics (2014) 11:92–110
- Wang Z, Zhang XJ, Li T, Li J, Tang Y, Le W (2014) Valproic Acid Reduces Neuritic Plaque Formation and Improves Learning Deficits in APPSwe /PS1A246E Transgenic Mice via Preventing the Prenatal Hypoxia-Induced Down-Regulation of Neprilysin. CNS Neurosci Ther. 20(3):209-17.
- Xiao Q, Chen S, Le W (2014) Hyposmia: a possible biomarker of Parkinson’s disease. Neurosci Bull. 30(1):134-40.
- Li J, Li T, Zhang XJ, Tang Y, Yang J, Le W (2013) Human superoxide dismutase 1 overexpression in motor neurons of Caenorhabditis elegans causes axon guidance defect and neurodegeneration. Neurobiol. Aging. 35(4):837-46.
- Li J, Le W (2013) Modeling neurodegenerative diseases in Caenorhabditis elegans. Exp. Neurol. 250:94-103.
- Chen S, Sayana P, Zhang XJ, Le W (2013) Genetics of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: an update. Mol Neurodegener. 8:28.
- Chen S, Luo GR, Li T, Liu TX, Le W (2013) Correlation of Nr4a2 Expression with the Neuron Progenitors in Adult Zebrafish Brain. J Mol. Neurosci. 51(3):719-23.
- Li J, Pu P, Le W (2013) The SAX-3 receptor stimulates axon outgrowth and the signal sequence and transmembrane domain are critical for SAX-3 membrane localization in the PDE neuron of C. elegans. Plos One. 8(6):e65658.
- Song L, Gao Y, Zhang XJ, Le W (2013) Galactooligosaccharide improves the animal survival and alleviates motor neuron death in SOD1G93A mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neuroscience. 29(246):281-290.
- Le W, Qin ZH. (2013) New horizon in autophagy research. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 34(5):583-584.
- Shen YF, Tang Y, Zhang XJ, Huang KX, Le W (2013) Adaptive changes in autophagy after UPS impairment in Parkinson’s disease. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 34(5):667-673.
- Li J, Huang KX, Le W (2013) Establishing a novel C. elegans model to investigate the role of autophagy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 34(5):644-650
- Zhang XJ, Chen S, Huang KX, Le W** (2013) Why should autophagic flux be assessed? Acta Pharmacol Sin. 34(5):595-599.
- Li L, Zhang S, Zhang X, Li T, Tang Y, Liu H, Yang W, Le W (2013) Autophagy Enhancer Carbamazepine Alleviates Memory Deficits and Cerebral Amyloid-β Pathology in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease. Curr Alzheimer Res. 10(4):433-441.
- Zhang X, Li L, Zhang X, Xie W, Li L, Yang D, Heng X, Du Y, Doody RS, Le W (2013) Prenatal hypoxia may aggravate the cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease neuropathology in APP(Swe)/PS1(A246E) transgenic mice. Neurobiol Aging. 34(3):663-78.
- Kansara S, Trivedi A, Chen S, Jankovic J, Le W (2013) Early diagnosis and therapy of Parkinson’s disease: can disease progression be curbed? J Neural Transm. 120(1):197-210.
- Liu H, Tao Q, Deng H, Ming M, Ding Y, Xu P, Chen S, Song Z, Le W (2013) Genetic analysis of NR4A2 gene in a large population of Han Chinese patients with Parkinson’s disease. Eur J Neurol. 20(3):584-7.
- Du Y, Zhang X, Tao Q, Chen S, Le W (2013) Adeno-Associated Virus Type 2 Vector-Mediated Glial Cell Line-Derived Neurotrophic Factor Gene Transfer Induces Neuroprotection and Neuroregeneration in a Ubiquitin-Proteasome System Impairment Animal Model of Parkinson’s Disease. Neurodegener Dis. 11(3):113-28.
- Liu H, Wei L, Tao Q, Deng H, Ming M, Xu P, Le W (2012) Decreased NURR1 and PITX3 gene expression in Chinese patients with Parkinson’s disease. Eur J Neurol. 19(6):870-5.
- Yang D, Li T, Wang Y, Tang Y, Cui H, Tang Y, Zhang X, Chen D, Shen N, Le W (2012) miR-132 regulates the differentiation of dopamine neurons by directly targeting Nurr1 expression. J Cell Sci. 125(Pt 7):1673-82.
- Heng X, Jin G, Zhang X, Yang D, Zhu M, Fu S, Li X, Le W (2012) Nurr1 regulates Top IIβ and functions in axon genesis of mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons. Mol Neurodegener. 7:4.
- Heng X, Breer H, Zhang X, Tang Y, Li J, Zhang S, Le W (2012) Sall3 correlates with the expression of TH in mouse olfactory bulb. J Mol Neurosci. 46(2):293-302.
- Wang Y, Yang D, Song L, Li T, Yang J, Zhang X, Le W (2012) Mifepristone inducible caspase-1 expression in mouse embryonic stem cells eliminates tumor formation but spares differentiated cells in vitro and in vivo. Stem Cells. 30(2): 169-79.
- Yang DH, Li T, Wang Y, Yang J, Cui HJ, Tang Y, Zhang XJ, Chen DG, Shen N, Le W (2012) miR-132 regulates the differentiation of dopamine neurons by directly targeting Nurr1 expression. J Cell Sci. 125(Pt 7):1673-82.
- Heng X, Jin G, Zhang X, Yang DH, Zhu MZ, Fu SJ, Li XP, Le W (2012) Nurr1 regulates Top IIbeta and functions in axon genesis of mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons. Mol Neurodegener. 7(1):4.
- Chen S, Zhang XJ, Song L, Le W (2012) Autophagic dysregulation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Brain Pathology. 22:110-116.
- Heng X, Breer H, Zhang X, Tang Y, Li J, Zhang S, Le W (2012) Sall3 Correlates with the Expression of TH in Mouse Olfactory Bulb. J Mol Neurosci. 46(2):293-302.
- Peng CG, Aron L, Klein R, Li M, Wurst W, Prakash N, Le W (2011) Pitx3 is a critical mediator of GDNF-induced BDNF expression in nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons. J Neurosci. 31(36):12802-12815.
- Tao QQ, Fan X, Li T, Tang Y, Yang D, Le W (2011) Gender segregation in gene expression and vulnerability to oxidative stress induced injury in ventral mesencephalic cultures of dopamine neurons. J Neurosci. Res. 90(1):167-78.
- Wang Q, Zhang XJ, Chen S, Zhang X, Zhang S, Youdium M, Le W (2011) Prevention of Motor Neuron Degeneration by Novel Iron Chelators in SOD1G93A Transgenic Mice of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Neurodegener Dis. 8(5):310-321.
- Zhang X, Heng X, Li T, Li L, Yang D, Zhang XJ, Du Y, Doody RS, Le W (2011) Long-Term Treatment with Lithium Alleviates Memory Deficits and Reduces Amyloid-β Production in an Aged Alzheimer’s Disease Transgenic Mouse Model. J Alzheimers Dis. 24(4):739-749.
- Zhang XJ, Li L, Chen S, Yang D, Wang Y, Zhang X, Wang Z, Le W (2011) Rapamycin treatment augments motor neuron degeneration in SOD1 (G93A) mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Autophany. 7(4): 412-425.
- Wang Z, Yang D, Zhang X, Li T, Li J, Tang Y, Le W (2011) Hypoxia-induced down-regulation of neprilysin by histone modification in mouse primary cortical and hippocampal neurons. Plos one. 29;6(4):e19229.
- Ming M, Ming M, Manzini I, Le W, Krieglstein K, Spittau B (2010) Thapsigargin- induced Ca(2+) increase inhibits TGFbeta1-mediated Smad2 transcriptional responses via Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. J Cell Biochem. 111(5): 1222-1230.
- Heng X and Le W**. (2010) The function of DNA topoisomerase IIβ in neuronal development. Neurosci Bull. 26(5):411-6.
- Zhang X, Le W (2010) Pathological role of hypoxia in Alzheimer’s disease. Exp Neurol. 223(2):299-303.
- Zhang XJ, Chen S, Li L, Wang Q, Le W (2010) Decreased level of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate: a potential biomarker for pre-symptomatic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neurol Sci. 293(1-2):102-5.
- Luo GR, Le W (2010) Collective roles of molecular chaperones in protein degradation pathways associated with neurodegenerative diseases. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 11(2):180-7.
- Fan XL, Luo GR, Yang DH, Ming M, Liu HM, Pu P, Le W (2010) Critical role of lysosome and its associated protein cathepsin D in manganese-induced toxicity in cultured midbrain astrocyte. Neurochemistry International. 56(2):291-300.
- Li L, Zhang XJ, Le W (2009) Autophagy dysfunction in Alzheimer’s disease. Neurodegener Dis. 7(4):265-71.
- Li J, Dani JA, Le W (2009) The role of transcription factor Pitx3 in dopamine neuron development and Parkinson’s disease. Curr Top Med Chem. 9(10):855-9.
- Ming M, Li X, Fan X, Yang D, Li L, Chen S, Gu Q, Le W (2009) Retinal pigment epithelial cells secrete neurotrophic factors and synthesize dopamine: possible contribution to therapeutic effects of RPE cell transplantation in Parkinson’s disease. J Transl Med. 7:53-62.
- Li L, Zhang X, Yang D, Luo G, Chen S, Le W (2009) Hypoxia increases Abeta generation by altering beta- and gamma-cleavage of APP. Neurobiol Aging. 30:1091-1098.
- Du Y, Yang D, Li L, Luo G, Li T, Fan X, Wang Q, Zhang X, Wang Y, Le W (2009) An insight into the mechanistic role of p53-mediated autophagy induction in response to proteasomal inhibition-induced neurotoxicity. Autophagy. 5:1-13.
- Fan XL, Luo GR, Ming M, Pu P, Li L, Yang DH, Le W (2009) Nurr1 expression and its modulation in microglia. Neuroimmunomodulation. 16:162-70.
- Le W, Chen S. (2009) Biology of NR4A subfamily. The Encyclopedia of Movement Disorders. 495:1-4.
- Pu P and Le W (2008) Dopamine neuron degeneration induced by MPP+ is independent of CED-4 pathway in Caenorhabditis elegans. Cell Res. 18(9):978-81.
- Yang DH, Peng CG, Li L, Fan XL, Le W (2008) Pitx3-transfected astrocytes secrete brain-derived neurotrophic factor and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and protect dopamine neurons in mesencephalon cultures. J Neurosci Res. 86:3393-3400.
- Luo GR, Chen Y, Li XP, Liu TX, Le W (2008) Nr4a2 is essential for the differentiation of dopaminergic neurons during zebrafish embryogenesis. Mol Cell Neurosci. 9:202-210.
- Li XP, Du YL, Fan XL, Yang DH, Luo GR, Le W (2008) c-Jun N-Terminal Kinase Mediates Lactacystin-Induced Dopamine Neuron Degeneration. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 67:933-944.
- Chen S, Zhang XJ, Yang D, Du Y, Li L, Li X, Ming M, Le W (2008) D2/D3 receptor agonist ropinirole protects dopaminergic cell line against rotenone-induced apoptosis through inhibition of caspase- and JNK-dependent pathways. FEBS Letters. 582: 603-610.
- Zhang XJ, Chen S, Li L, Wang Q, Le W (2008) Folic acid protects motor neurons against the increased homocysteine, inflammation and apoptosis in SOD1G93A transgenic mice. Neuropharmacology. 54:1112-1119.
- Pérez-Bello D, Xu ZH, Higginson-Clarke D, Rojas AM, Le W, Rodríguez-Tanty C (2008) DNA-labelled cytidine assay for the quantification of CAG repeats. J Neurosci Methods. 30;169(1):201-7.
- Du Y, Li X, Yang D, Zhang X, Chen S, Huang K, Le W (2008) Multiple molecular pathways are involved in the neuroprotection of GDNF against proteasome inhibitor induced dopamine neuron degeneration in vivo. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 233(7):881-90.
- Wang YM, Pu P, Le W (2007) ATP depletion is the major cause of MPP+ induced dopamine neuronal death and worm lethality in alpha-synuclein transgenic C. elegans. Neurosci Bull. 23(6):329-35.
- Wang Y, Chen S, Yang D, Le W (2007) Stem cell transplantation: a promising therapy for Parkinson’s disease. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2(3):243-50.
- Sun B, Chen S, Zhan S, Le W, Krahl SE (2007) Subthalamic nucleus stimulation for primary dystonia and tardive dystonia. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 97(Pt 2):207-14.
- Chen S, Zhang XJ, Li L, Le W (2007) Current experimental therapy for Alzheimer’s disease. Curr Neuropharmacol. 5(2):127-34.
- Li X, Yang D, Li L, Peng C, Chen S, Le W (2007) Proteasome inhibitor lactacystin disturbs the intracellular calcium homeostasis of dopamine neurons in ventral mesencephalic cultures. Neurochem Int. 50(7-8):959-65.
- Ming M, Le W (2007) Retinal pigment epithelial cells: biological property and application in Parkinson’s disease. Chin Med J (Engl). 120(5):416-20.
- Peng C, Fan S, Li X, Fan X, Ming M, Sun Z, Le W (2007) Overexpression of pitx3 upregulates expression of BDNF and GDNF in SH-SY5Y cells and primary ventral mesencephalic cultures. FEBS Lett. 581(7):1357-61.
- Li X, Peng C, Li L, Ming M, Yang D, Le W (2007) Glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor protects against proteasome inhibition-induced dopamine neuron degeneration by suppression of endoplasmic reticulum stress and caspase-3 activation. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 62(9):943-50.
- Pu P, Le W (2006). C. elegans as a model system for Parkinson disease. Neurosci Bull. 22(2):124-128.
- Li R, Peng N, Li XP, Le W (2006) (-)-Epigallocatechin gallate regulates dopamine transporter internalization via protein kinase C-dependent pathway. Brain Res. 1097(1):85-9.
- Xu Z, Chen S, Li X, Luo G, Li L, Le W (2006) Neuroprotective effects of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate in a transgenic mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurochem Res. 31(10):1263-9.
- Luo GR, Chen S, Le W (2006) Are heat shock proteins therapeutic target for Parkinson’s disease? Int J Biol Sci. 3(1):20-6.
- Chen S, Le W (2006) Neuroprotective therapy in Parkinson disease. Am J Ther. 13(5):445-57.
- Li XP, Le W (2006) Application of single cell gene expression analysis techniques on neurosciences research. Sheng Li Ke Xue Jin Zhan. 37(1):55-7.
- Li R, Peng N, Du F, Li XP, Le W (2006) Epigallocatechin gallate protects dopaminergic neurons against 1-methyl-4- phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-induced neurotoxicity by inhibiting microglial cell activation. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 26(4):376-80.
- Du F, Li R, Huang Y, Li X, Le W (2005) Dopamine D3 receptor-preferring agonists induce neurotrophic effects on mesencephalic dopamine neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 22(10):2422-30.
- Jankovic J, Chen S, Le W (2005) The role of Nurr1 in the development of dopaminergic neurons and Parkinson’s disease. Prog Neurobiol. 77(1-2):128-38.
- Liu X, Fan XL, Zhao Y, Luo GR, Li XP, Li R, Le W (2005) Estrogen provides neuroprotection against activated microglia-induced dopaminergic neuronal injury through both estrogen receptor-alpha and estrogen receptor-beta in microglia. J Neurosci Res. 81(5):653-65.
- Li R, Huang YG, Fang D, Le W (2004) EGCG inhibits LPS-induced microglial activation and protects against inflammation-mediated dopaminergic neuronal injury. J Neurosci Res. 78 (5): 723-31.
Invited reviews, comments and book chapters
Written & Published by the Reviews:
1. Le WD and Appel SH. Mutant genes responsible for Parkinson´s disease. Current Opinion in Pharmacology. (2004)4:79-84.
2. Thomas M and Le WD. Minocycline: Neuroprotective mechanisms in Parkinson´s disease. Current Pharmaceutical design. (2004)
3. Rachakonda V, Pan TH, Le WD. (2004) Biomarkers of neurodegenerative disorders: how good are they? Cell Research. 14:347-358.
4. Du F, Li R, and Le W.D. (2003) Gene expression and regulation in dopamine neuron development. Chinese Journal of Neurosciences.
5. Li R and Le W.D. (2003) Green tea polyphenols: Neuroprotective mechanisms in Parkinson Disease. Clinical Neurosciences. 10:201
6. Du F and Le W.D. (2003) Dopamine agonists and neuroprotection in Parkinson disease. Chinese Journal of Nervous Disoders. 28:
7. Thomas M, Le W.D, Jankovic J. (2002) Minocycline: A neuroprotective strategy in neurodegenerative disorders. Archives of
8. Xu P.Y. and Le W.D. Nurr1 gene and dopamine neuron function in neuro-psychological disorders. International Review of Neurology and
Neuropsychiatry. (2002) 27:12-22.
9. Xu P.Y. and Le W.D. Research update in restless leg syndrome. Chinese Journal of Clinical Neurosciences. (2001) 9:398-401.
10. Dong Z.J. and Le W.D. Rotenone neurotoxicity and Parkinson´s disease. International Review of Neurology and Neuropsychiatry.
11. Le W.D. Mechanisms of Action of Pramipexole: Putative Neuroprotective Effects. Reviews in Contemporary Phamacotherapy.
12. Le W.D. and Jankovic J (2001) Do dopamine agonists have neuroprotection? Drugs and Aging. 18:389-396.
13. Le W.D (1986) MPTP and Parkinson disease (review in Chinese). World Science, 3:76-79.
International Conference Papers:
1. Qu S, Zhang X, Xie W, Pan T, Ondo W, Le WD. (2004) Projections of diencephalic dopaminergic cells into the spinal cord of mice.
Society for Neuroscience Meeting Program, 945.1.
2. Chu Y, Kompoliti K, Le WD, Farrer MJ, Trojanowski JQ, Mufson EJ, Kordower JH. Nurr1 expression in nigral dopaminergic neurons in
Parkinson´s disease and related disorders. Society for Neuroscience Meeting Program,
3. Grider MH. Le WD. Shine HD. (2004). In situ expression of BDNF or NT-3 promotes sprouting of lesioned serotonergic axons. Society for
Neuroscience Meeting Program, 834.10.
4. Le W.D, Jiang Q, Xie W.J, Hintermann S, Jankovic J. (2004) Nurr1 gene targeting therapy for Parkinson´s disease. Movement Disorders
19 (Supple 9):S132.
5. Jiang C, Pan T, Jankovic J, Le WD (2004) Effects of ropinirole on progression of Parkinsonism in Nurr1-deficient mice and its underlying
mechanisms. Neurology 62 (Suuple 5):A7.
6. Jiang C, Wan X, Jankovic J, Le WD (2004) Dopaminergic properties and anti-parkinsonian effects of IPX-750 in rodent models of
Parkinson´s disease. Neurology 62 (Suppl 5):A9.
7. Pan T, Jankovic J, Le WD. The pharmacological and biological effects of pramipexole on dopamine transporter. Neurology 62
(Suppl 5):A109, 2004.
8. Pan T, Xie WJ, Jankovic J, Le WD (2004) Decreased Nurr1 mRNA in peripheral blood lymphocytes in Parkinson´s disease.
Neurology 62 (Suppl 5):A108.
9. Le W.D, Imam S, He Y, Dong Z.Q, Jankovic J, Appel S.H. (2003) Nitric oxide mediated neurotoxicity in rotenone treated mice.
IBRO meeting. Neurosciences 58 (Suppl):28.
10. Xu P.Y, Jankovic J, Le W.D. (2001) Using fluorescent PCR to screen Arg778Leu mutation at exon 8 of ATP7B gene in Chinese
population with Wilson disease. Neurology Suppl (3):A417.
11. Le W.D, Xu P.Y, Liang R, Tan EK, Jankovic J. (2001) Polymorphism at intrn 6 of Nurr1 gene is associated with familial Parkinson
disease. Neurology Suppl (3):A129.
12. Le W.D, He Y, Jankovic J. (2001) Aged Nurr1+/- mice develop behavioral and biochemical changes consistent with Parkinsonism.
Abstract of XIV International Congress on Parkinson´s disease. Helsinki, Finland.
13. Le W.D., Dong Z.J, He Y, Jankovic J. (2001) Chronic administration of rotenone induces moderate dopaminergic dysfunction in mice.
Abstract of XIV International Congress on Parkinson´s disease. Helsinki, Finland.
14. Le WD, Xie W, Jankovic J, Kong R, Appel S. (1996) Dopaminergic neurotoxicity of cerebrospinal fluid from patients with Parkinson´s
disease. Movement Disorder 11(5):2.
15. Le W.D., Conneely O.M, Jankovic J, Appel S.H. (2000) Reduction of Nurr1 gene expression is a potential risk factor for the nigral
Daergic degeneration in PD. Movement Disorders Suppl 3:192.
16. Rowe D.B, Le W.D, Jankovic J, Hunter C, Appel S.H. (2000) Antibodies from patients with Parkinson´s disease with protein modified
by dopamine oxidation. Movement Disorders Suppl 3:28.
17. Le W.D, Conneely O.M, Jankovic J, Appel S.H. (2000) Nurr1 gene expression and dopamine neuron degeneration relevant to
Parkinson´s disease. Neurology Suppl 3:A53.
18. Le W.D, Zou L.L, Xu J, Jankovic J. (1999) Antioxidant property of pramipexole in neuroprotection. Parkinsonism & Related Disorders.
19. Le W.D, Rowe D.B, Xie W.J, Appel S.H. (1999) Activated microglia induced dopaminergic cell injury in vitro. Parkinsonism & Related
Disorders. 5 (Supple):S19.
20. Le W.D, Asaka T, Xie W.J, Appel S.h. (1998) The role of oxidative stress in the production of b-APP and b-amyloid. Neurobiology of
Aging 19 (Supple):S2655.
1. Appel SH, Smith RG, Le W.D (1996) Immune-mediated cell death in neurodegenerative disease. Advance in Neurology, 69:153-158.
2. Appel SH, Smith RG, Le W.D (1996) Neurodegeneration and neuroprotection in Parkinson´s disease. Olanow CW, Jenner P, Youdim
M (eds), Academic Press, pp 187-203.
3. Le W.D (2004) Neurotransmitters and receptors in Parkinson´s disease. Edited by Chen SD et al In: Parkinson´s disease. Medical
Science Press, Beijing.