Ph.D., Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Genetic Engineering
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
Basing on transgenic and knock-out technology, Dr. Wang is focusing on the following research fields:
1. Functions of human genes, especially those that we have own intellectual rights;
2. Functions of tumors, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and osteoporosis related genes to analyze their molecular pathogenesis;
3. Exploration of gene therapy, new drugs and molecular targets;
4. Researches into the polygenic diseases and special genetic resources of diseases in China.
Major Research Achievement
Dr. Wang researched deeply into the molecular pathogenesis of Acute Premyelocytic Leukaemia (APL). His research results illustrated the roles of PML and PML/RAR fusion proteins in APL pathogenesis, and demonstrated the dominant negative-effect of the fusion protein on functions of PML invivo through analysis of phenotypes of PML knock-out and PML/RAR transgenic mouse models.
1978-1983 B.S., Sinkiang Medical College
1986-1988 M.D., Endocrinology, Shanghai Second Medical University
1988-1991 Ph.D., Endocrinology, Shanghai Second Medical University
1995-1999 Postdoctoral fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, USA
Major Academic Appointments
1983-1986 Director Doctor, Second Affiliate Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University
1991-1995 Associate Research, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University,
Shanghai Institute of Endocrine and Metabolic Disease
2001-Present Professor, Basic Research Division, Shanghai JiaoTong University of Medicine
2001-Present Director, Shanghai Research Center for Biomodel Organism
2001-Present Professor & PI, Institute of Health Sciences, SIBS, CAS / SJTUM
2003-Present Researcher, E-Institutes of ShangHai Univeristies
- Zhang F, Shu R, Wu X, Zhao X, Feng D, Wang L, Lu S, Liu Q, Xiang Y, Fei J, Huang L, Wang Z. Delayed liver injury and impaired hepatocyte proliferation after carbon tetrachloride exposure in BPOZ2-deficient mice. Toxicol Lett. 2009 Aug 10;188(3):201-7.
- Shu RZ, Zhang F, Wang F, Feng DC, Li XH, Ren WH, Wu XL, Yang X, Liao XD, Huang L, Wang ZG. Adiponectin deficiency impairs liver regeneration through attenuating STAT3 phosphorylation in mice. Lab Invest. 2009 Sep;89(9):1043-52.
- Wu XL, Gu MM, Huang L, Liu XS, Zhang HX, Ding XY, Xu JQ, Cui B, Wang L, Lu SY, Chen XY, Zhang HG, Huang W, Yuan WT, Yang JM, Gu Q, Fei J, Chen Z, Yuan ZM, Wang ZG. Multiple synostoses syndrome is due to a missense mutation in exon 2 of FGF9 gene. Am J Hum Genet. 2009 Jul;85(1):53-63.
- Zhang NN, Shen SH, Jiang LJ, Zhang W, Zhang HX, Sun YP, Li XY, Huang QH, Ge BX, Chen SJ, Wang ZG, Chen Z, Zhu J. RIG-I plays a critical role in negatively regulating granulocytic proliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Jul 29;105(30):10553-8.
- Liu XS, Li XH, Wang Y, Shu RZ, Wang L, Lu SY, Kong H, Jin YE, Zhang LJ, Fei J, Chen SJ, Chen Z, Gu MM, Lu ZY, Wang ZG. Disruption of palladin leads to defects in definitive erythropoiesis by interfering with erythroblastic island formation in mouse fetal liver. Blood. 2007 Aug 1;110(3):870-6.
- Yinfang Xu, Youqing Cai, Neng Gong, Chen Chen, Yuncheng Wu, Sandy Zhang-Nunes, Zhugang Wang, Tianle Xu, Jian Fei. Homeostatic plasticity of GABAergic synaptic transmission in mice lacking GAT1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Sep 21;361(2):499-504.
- Tao Deng, Ying Kuang, Dan Zhang, Long Wang, Ruilin Sun, Guojiang Xu, Zhugang Wang, Jian Fei. Disruption of imprinting and aberrant embryo development in completely inbred embryonic stem cell-derived mice. Dev Growth Differ. 2007 Jul 17;49(7):603-610.
- Liu XS, Luo HJ, Yang H, Wang L, Kong H, Jin YE, Wang F, Gu MM, Chen Z, Lu ZY, Wang ZG. Palladin regulates cell and extracellular matrix interaction through maintaining normal actin cytoskeleton architecture and stabilizing beta1-integrin. J Cell Biochem. 2007 Apr 1;100(5):1288-300.
- Fei Z, Chen Z, Wang Z, Fei J. Conditional RNA interference achieved by Oct-1 POU/rtTA fusion protein activator and a modified TRE-mouse U6 promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Mar 23;354(4):906-12.
- Cai YQ, Cai GQ, Liu GX, Cai Q, Shi JH, Shi J, Ma SK, Sun X, Sheng ZJ, Mei ZT, Cui D, Guo L, Wang Z, Fei J. Mice with genetically altered GABA transporter subtype I (GAT1) expression show altered behavioral responses to ethanol. J Neurosci Res. 2006 Aug 1;84(2):255-67.
- Xudong Zhao, Suying Dang, Bin Liang, Lei Xia, Zheng Chen, Long Wang, Lanzhen Yan, Hantang Sun, Jiliang Fu, Jian Fei, Zhugang Wang. PCR-based approaches for identification of multi-copy transgene integration sites in mouse genome. Chinese Science Bulletin, 2006 Sep 13; 51(18):2231-2235.
- Xudong Zhao, Weihua Ren, Wenjun Yang, Yi Wang, Hui Kong, Long Wang, Lanzhen Yan, Guojiang Xu, Jian Fei, Jiliang Fu, Chenping Zhang, Zhugang Wang. Wnt Pathway Is Involved in Pleomorphic Adenomas Induced by Overexpression of PLAG1 in Transgenic Mice. Int J Cancer. 2006 Feb 1;118(3):643-8.
- Huijun Luo, Xuesong Liu, Fang Wang, Qiuhua Huang, Shuhong Shen, Long Wang, Guojiang Xu, Xia Sun, Hui Kong, Mingmin Gu,Saijuan Chen, Zhu Chen and Zhugang Wang. Disruption of palladin results in neural tube closure defects in mice. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005 Aug;29(4):507-15.
- Wang Shuiliang, He Yan, Xie Youhua, Wang Yuan, Li Jianzhong, Wang Long, Wang Zhugang and Fu jiliang. Establishment of widely expressed hb1f transgenic mouse lineage and its morphologic analysis. Chinese Science Bulletin. 49(2):142-145,2004.
- Jian-Zhong Li, Xia Chen, Hua Yang, Shui-Liang Wang, Hao Feng, Bao-Yu Guo, Long Yu, Zhu-Gang Wang and Ji-Liang Fu. Establishment of transgenic mice carrying the gene encoding human zinc finger protein 191. World J Gastroenterol. 10(2):264-267, 2004.
- Hai-Guo Zhang, Shuang-Jin Xu, Jiang-Bin Yuan, Dilana Abasi, Zhan-Hua Xie, Zhen-Yu Lu, Wei Huang, Zhugang Wang, I-Hung Pan and Ren-Biao Chen. Investigation on Dermatoglyphics of Russ Nationality in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. Journal of Genetics and Molecular Biology. 14:164, 2003.
- Mingmin Gu, Wentao Yuan, Jieqing Yang, Zhugang Wang, Wei Huang, Li’an Fan. A genomewide scan for the susceptibility gene loci to ankylosing spondylitis in Chinese Han population. American Journal of Human Genetics. 73(5): 497, 2003 (suppl).
- Wang SL, Yang H, Xie YH, Wang Y, Li JZ, Wang L, Wang ZG and Fu JL Establishment of transgenic mice carrying the gene of human nuclear receptor NR5A2 (Hb1f). World J Gastroenterol. 9:1333, 2003.
- Gu BW, Xiong H, Zhou Y, Chen B, Wang L, Dong S, Yu ZY, Lu LF, Zhong M, Yin HF, Zhu GF, Huang W, Ren SX, Gallagher RE, Waxman S, Chen GQ, Wang ZG, Chen Z, Fu G and Chen SJ. Variant-type PML-RAR(alpha) fusion transcript in acute promyelocytic leukemia: use of a cryptic coding sequence from intron 2 of the RAR(alpha) gene and identification of a new clinical subtype resistant to retinoic acid therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 99:7640, 2002.
- Rego EM, He LZ, Warrell RP Jr, Wang ZG and Pandolfi PP. Retinoic acid (RA) and As2O3 treatment in transgenic models of acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) unravel the distinct nature of the leukemogenic process induced by the PML-RARalpha and PLZF-RARalpha oncoproteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 97:10173, 2000.
- Rego EM, Wang ZG, Peruzzi D, He LZ, Cordon-Cardo C and PP Pandolfi. Role of promyelocytic leukemia (PML) protein in tumor suppression. J Exp Med. 19:521, 2001.
- Soignet SL, Maslak P, Wang ZG, Jhanwar S, Calleja E, Dardashti LJ, Corso D, DeBlasio A, Gabrilove J, Scheinberg DA, Pandolfi PP and Warrell RP Jr. Complete remissiom after induction of non-terminal differentiation and apoptosis in acute promyelocytic leukemia by arsenic trioxide. N Engl J Med. 339:1341, 1998.
- Zhu-Gang Wang, Roberta Rivi, Laurent Delva, Andrea Konig, Steven Soignet, David Scheinberg, Carlo Gambacorti-Passerini and Janice L Gabrilove, Raymond P. Warrell Jr. and Pier Paolo Pandolfi. Arsenic Trioxide and Melarsoprol induce Programmed Cell Death in Myeloid Leukemia Lines and Function in a PML and PML/RARa Independent Manner. Blood. 92:1497, 1998.
- Zhu-Gang Wang, Laurent Delva, Mirella Gaboli, Roberta Rivi, Marco Giorgio, Carlos Cordon-Cardo, Frank Grosveld and Pier Paolo Pandolfi. Role of PML in Cell Growth and the Retinoic Acid Pathway. Science. 279:1547, 1998.
- Zhu-Gang Wang, Davide Ruggero, Simona Ronchetti, Sue Zhong, Mirella Gaboli, Roberta Rivi, Carlos Cordon-Cardo and Pier Paolo Pandolfi. Pml is essential for multiple apoptotic pathways. Nature Genetics. 20:266, 1998.
Invited reviews, comments and book chapters
1. Wang ZG.
Management of complicated and persistent bleeding during operation.
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2007 Feb 1;45(3):145-7.
2. Wang ZG.
To be enterprising with incessant effort, and to be versatile in art and morality.
Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi. 2007 Feb;23(1):1-2.
3. Fang J, Chen SJ, Tong JH, Wang ZG, Chen GQ, Chen Z.
Treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia with ATRA and As2O3: a model of molecular target-based cancer therapy.
Cancer Biol Ther, 2002, 1:614.
4. Zhang TD, Chen GQ, Wang ZG, Wang ZY, Chen SJ, Chen Z.
Arsenic trioxide, a therapeutic agent for APL.
Oncogene, 2001, 20:7146.
5. Ruggero D, Wang ZG, Pandolfi PP.
The puzzling multiple lives of PML and its role in the genesis of cancer.
Bioassays, 2000, 9:827.
6. Mirella Gaboli, Domenica Gandini, Laurent Delva, Zhugang Wang, Pier Paolo Pandolfi.
Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia as a Model for Cross-Talk between Interferon and Retinoic Acid Pathways.
Leukemia and Lymphoma, 1998, 30:11.
7. Sundeep Kalantry, Laurent Delva, Mirella Gaboli, Domenica Gandini, Marco Giorgio, Nicola Hawe, Lizhen He, Daniela Peruzzi, Roberta Rivi,
Carla Tribioli, Zhugang Wang, Hui Zhang, Pier Paolo Pandolfi.
Gene Rearrangements in the Molecular Pathogenesis of Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia.
Journal of Cellular Physiology, 1997, 173:288.