Ph.D., Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Signal Transduction
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
Dr. Ge has been conducting the signal transduction study in immune system for years. His group focuses their researches on the understanding of the signaling pathway in the innate immune system during infection, specifically, on the mechanism of p38 MAP kinase activation in response to LPS stimulation in macrophages as well as in the innate immune system of Drosophila. They are also trying to understand the signaling mechanism in NK cells cytotoxicity, and how Chinese medicine components exert anti-inflammatory effects on the immune system by regulating cytokine production.
Major Research Achievement
1. Understanding of the signaling mechanism of p38 activation and the function of an adaptor protein TAB2 in Drosophila´s innate responses. Cell Signal. 18(4):441-8; 18(7):964-70.
2. Contribution of the understanding of how Traditional Chinese Medicine components exert anti-inflammatory effects in immune system by regulating cytokine production. Biol Pharm Bull. 29(2):220-4.
3. A novel finding of a functional role of RIG-I in macrophage phagocytosis. Submitted.
4. A novel finding of a functional role of beta-arrestin in NK cell´s cytotoxicity. Submitted.
1983-1987 B.S., Entomology, Beijing Agricultural University, China
1993-1999 Ph.D., Genetics, University of California, Riverside, USA
1999-2002 Postdoc, Immunology, The Scripps Research Insitute, USA
Major Academic Appointments
1993-1999 Assistant researcher, University of California-Riverside, USA
1999-2002 Senior Assistant Researcher, The Scripps Research Institute, USA
2002-2005 Visiting Scholar, Harvard University, USA
2002-Present Professor & PI, Institute of Health Sciences, SIBS, CAS / SJTUM
Honors, Certificates, and Academic Society
2002 Research Fellowship Award, National Institute of Health, USA
2005 National Distinguished Young Scientist, China
2006 Shanghai Science & Technology Innovative Young Talent Award
2006 Excellent Award, "One-Hundred Talent Program" Final Evaluation
2009-present Member of Editorial Board of Microbes & Infection
- Zhu QY, Liu Q, Chen JX, Lan K, Ge B*. 2010 MicroRNA-101 Targets MAPK Phosphatase-1 To Regulate the Activation of MAPKs in Macrophages. J Immunol. Nov 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu HP，Yu MC，Ge B*. 2010 Supervillin associates with KIR2DL1 and regulates the cytotoxicity of natural killer cells. Cell Signal. Nov 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Meng S, Gui Q, Xu Q, Lu K, Jiao X, Fan J, Ge B, Ke Y, Zhang S, Wu J, Wang C. 2010 Association of Shp2 with phosphorylated IL-22R1 is required for interleukin-22-induced MAP kinase activation. J Mol Cell Biol. Aug;2(4):223-30.
- Qian G, Qin X, Zang YQ, Ge B, Guo TB, Wan B, Fang L, Zhang JZ. 2010 High doses of alpha-galactosylceramide potentiate experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by directly enhancing Th17 response. Cell Res. Apr;20(4):480-91.
- Kong L, Sun L, Zhang H, Liu Q, Liu Y, Qin L, Shi G, Hu JH, Xu A, Sun YP, Li D, Shi YF, Zang JW, Zhu J, Chen Z, Wang ZG, Ge BX. An essential role for RIG-I in toll-like receptor-stimulated phagocytosis. Cell Host Microbe. 2009 Aug 20;6(2):150-61.
- Guoliang Cui, Xia Qin, Yuebo Zhang, Zhenwei Gong, Baoxue Ge, and Ying Q Zang. Berberine differentially modulates the activities of Erk, p38 MAPK and JNK to suppress Th17 and Th1 T cell differentiation in type 1 diabetic mice. J Biol Chem. Aug 2009; in press.
- Huang Z, Yan DP, Ge BX. JNK regulates cell migration through promotion of tyrosine phosphorylation of paxillin. Cell Signal. 2008 Nov;20(11):2002-12.
- Yu MC, Su LL, Zou L, Liu Y, Wu N, Kong L, Zhuang ZH, Sun L, Liu HP, Hu JH, Li D, Strominger JL, Zang JW, Pei G, Ge BX. An essential function for beta-arrestin 2 in the inhibitory signaling of natural killer cells. Nat Immunol. 2008 Aug;9(8):898-907.
- Zhang NN, Shen SH, Jiang LJ, Zhang W, Zhang HX, Sun YP, Li XY, Huang QH, Ge BX, Chen SJ, Wang ZG, Chen Z, Zhu J. RIG-I plays a critical role in negatively regulating granulocytic proliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Jul 29;105(30):10553-8.
- Kong L, Ge BX. MyD88-independent activation of a novel actin-Cdc42/Rac pathway is required for Toll-like receptor-stimulated phagocytosis. Cell Res. 2008 Jul;18(7):745-55. (Cover Story)
- Liu J, Wang ZT, Ge BX*. (2008) Andrograpanin, isolated from Andrographis paniculata, exhibits anti-inflammatory property in lipopolysaccharide-induced macrophage cells through down-regulating the p38 MAPKs signaling pathways. Int Immunopharmacol. 8(7):951-958.
- Sun L, Yu MC, Kong L, Zhuang ZH, Hu JH, Ge BX. Molecular identification and functional characterization of a Drosophila dual-specificity phosphatase DMKP-4 which is involved in PGN-induced activation of the JNK pathway. Cell Signal. 2008 Jul;20(7):1329-1337.
- Li C, Ge B, Nicotra M, Stern JN, Kopcow HD, Chen X, Strominger JL. (2008) JNK MAP kinase activation is required for MTOC and granule polarization in NKG2D-mediated NK cell cytotoxicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 105(8):3017-22.
- Chen X, Trivedi PP, Ge B, Krzewski K, Strominger JL. (2007) Many NK cell receptors activate ERK2 and JNK1 to trigger microtubule organizing center and granule polarization and cytotoxicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 104(15):6329-34.
- Hu JH, Chen T, Zhuang ZH, Kong L., Yu MC, Liu Y, Zang JW and Ge BX*. (2007) Feedback control of MKP-1 expression by p38. Cell Signal. 19(2):393-400.
- Liu J, Wang ZT, Ji LL, Ge B. (2007) Inhibitory effects of neoandrographolide on nitric oxide and prostaglandin E(2) production in LPS-stimulated murine macrophage. Mol Cell Biochem. 298(1-2):49-57.
- Zhuang ZH, Zhou Y, Yu MC, Silverman N, Ge BX*. (2006) Regulation of Drosophila p38 activation by specific MAP2 kinase and MAP3 kinase in response to different stimuli. Cell Signal. 18(4):441-8.
- Zhuang ZH, Sun L, Kong L, Hu JH, Yu MC, Reinach P, Zang JW, Ge BX*. (2006) Drosophila TAB2 is required for the immune activation of JNK and NF-kappaB. Cell Signal. 18(7):964-70.
- Chen X, Allan DS, Krzewski K, Ge B, Kopcow H, Strominger JL. (2006) CD28-stimulated ERK2 phosphorylation is required for polarization of the microtubule organizing center and granules in YTS NK cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 103, 10346-10351.
- Qin LH, Long L, Shi GJ1, Wang ZT, Ge B*. (2006) Andrographolide Inhibits the Production of TNF- Interleukin-12 in Lipopolysaccharide-stimulated Macrophages: Role of Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinases. Biol Pharm Bull. 29(2):220-4.
- Kopcow HD, Allan DS, Chen X, Rybalov B, Andzelm MM, Ge B, Strominger JL. (2005) Human decidual NK cells form immature activating synapses and are not cytotoxic. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 102(43):15563-8.
- Ge B, Xiong X, Jing Q, Mosley JL, Filose A, Bian D, Huang S, Han J. (2003) TAB1beta, a novel splicing variant of TAB1 that interacts with p38alpha but not TAK1. J Biol Chem. 278: 2286-2293.
- Ge B, Gram H, Di Padova F, Huang B, New L, Ulevitch RJ, Luo Y, Han J. (2002) MAPKK-independent activation of p38alpha mediated by TAB1-dependent autophosphorylation of p38alpha. Science. 295:1291-4.
- New L, Li Y, Ge B, Zhong H, Mansbridge J, Liu K, Han J. (2001) SB203580 promotes EGF-stimulated early morphological differentiation in PC12 cell through activating ERK pathway. J Cell Biochem. 83:585-96.
- Kuzina LV, Miller ED, Ge B, Miller TA. (2002) Transformation of Enterobacter gergoviae isolated from pink bollworm (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) gut with Bacillus thuringiensis toxin. Curr Microbiol. 44:1-4.
- Park HW, Ge B, Bauer LS, Federici BA. (1998) Optimization of Cry3A yields in Bacillus thuringiensis by use of sporulation-dependent promoters in combination with the STAB-SD mRNA sequence. Appl Environ Microbiol. 64:3932-8.
- Ge B, Bideshi D, Moar WJ, Federici BA. (1998) Differential effects of helper proteins encoded by the cry2A and cry11A operons on the formation of Cry2A inclusions in Bacillus thuringiensis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 165:35-41.
- Bideshi DK, Hice RH, Ge B, Federici BA. (1998) Molecular characterization and expression of the Trichoplusia ni granulovirus helicase gene. J Gen Virol. 79:1309-19.
Xuefang REN, Huiyuan WANG, Yonggang ZHAO, Tingshuo HUANG, Qingyuan ZHU.