Ph.D., Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Immunology and Adult Stem Cell
Research Interests or Current Research Focus
(1) Immunoregulation of mesenchymal stem cells. Mesenchymal stem cells are critical in tissue repair. It is well known that there is inflammation at the sites of tissue damage. Therefore, it is important to learn how mesenchymal stem cells interact with inflammatory cells and cytokines, especially in diseases. We have found that, with inflammatory cytokine stimulation, mesenchymal stem cells can be vigorously immunosuppressive. However, mesenchymal stem cells can prompt immune responses under certain conditions. Therefore, investigating the immunobiology of mesenchymal stem cells could provide novel information for better understanding of the pathogenesis processes and formulating of new therapeutic strategies of various diseases.
(2) Tumor stroma and tumor immunology. Immune surveillance is critical in keeping us cancer free. When cancer does develop, immunotherapy is the most desirable treatment. However, although various methods have been shown to have effect, none has proven to be the cure. Stromal cells in the tumor promote the tumor growth by formulating tumor immunomicroenviroment through recruiting monocytes/macrophages infiltration. We will continue working on tumor stroma (the soil of cancer cells) and to understand how it suppresses immune responses in the tumor microenvironment.
(3) Molecular mechanisms of activation-induced cell death in T cell subpopulations. T cells respond to antigenic stimulation by rapid proliferation and subsequent quick cell death. Therefore understanding the mechanisms of cell death in different T cell subsets is critical for controlling infections, cancer and autoimmune diseases.
Major Research Achievement
Dr. Shi was one of the major researchers in establishing the concept of AICD, a term that is commonly cited in the field of immunology. He also found the critical role of c-myc in the regulation of T cell apoptosis. His early investigation provided the foundation of using rapamycin as an adjuvant for chemotherapy, which lead to clinical trials in various centers. Dr. Shi’s laboratory proved that CD4+ T cells are responsible for asthma development. In recent studies, his team is investigating the mechanism of immunosuppression mediated by mesenchymal stem cells, a key research area for proper application of stem cells in clinical settings. Dr. Shi’s group is currently working on the following aspects:
1. Immunoregulation of mesenchymal stem cells;
2. Tumor stroma and tumor immunology;
3. Molecular mechanisms of activation-induced cell death in T cell subpopulations.
1977-1982 B.S. Degree in Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, Shandong Agricultural
1983-1984 Advanced studies, Department of Zoology, Shandong University, China
1984-1985 Advanced study in English, Bell Educational Trust, Ministry of Agriculture and Fishery, China
1985-1988 M.Sc., Department of Zoology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
1988-1992 Ph.D., Department of Immunology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Major Academic Appointments
1982-1985: Teaching staff, Fundamentals in Zoology course, Department of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Shandong Agricultural University, China
1986-1989: Teaching Assistant, first year Zoology course and the Physiology course, Department of Zoology, University of Alberta, Canada
1992-1995: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1995-1999: Scientist I (Assistant Professor), Department of Immunology, Holland Laboratory of the American Red Cross, USA
1996-1999: Assistant Professor and Ph.D. Student Supervisor for the Programs of Immunology, Biochemistry, and Oncology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, George Washington University, USA
1999-2001: Associate Professor (with 20% effort) with Tenure and Ph.D. Student Supervisor for the Programs of Immunology, Biochemistry, and Oncology, Department of Immunology, George Washington University, USA
1999-2001: Scientist II (Tenured Associate Professor), Department of Immunology, Holland Laboratory of the American Red Cross, USA
2001-2003: Associate Professor with Tenure and a University Professor title. Department of Molecular Genetics, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, USA
2003-present: Full Professor with Tenure and a University Professor title, Department of Molecular Genetics, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, USA
2001-present: Member of Cancer Institute of New Jersey, USA
2001-present: Member, Team of Infection, Immunology and Hematology, National Space Biomedical Research Institute, NASA, USA
2004-present: Joint Professor, Department of Pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, USA
2008-present: Director, Institute of Health Sciences, SIBS, CAS/SJTUSM, China
Honors, Certificates, and Academic Society
2008, Featured in Cell Stem Cell, NatureReviews Immunology, and Cell, about a publication in Cell Stem Cell (2:141);
2008, Interviewed by Science Now, about stem cell research;
2006, Feature in Immunity, Nature Reviews Immunology about a paper published in Immunity (25:237);
2005, Community Service Excellence Award, Sino-American Pharmaceutical Professional Association;
1999, Featured in Nature, Science Now, The Scientist, British Journal of Medicine and BBC about a publication in Nature (397:218);
1992-1995, Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Cancer Institute of Canada, Canada;
1992, Postdoctoral Fellowship-Medical Research Council of Canada, Canada;
1992, Cover Illustration, Science, Vol 257, July 10;
1988-1992, Studentship, Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada;
1985-1987, Scholarship for Graduate Studies in Canada, Chinese Ministry of Agriculture and Fishery, China.
1996 to 2010: Editorial Board, Regional Editor, Associate Editor-in Chief and Editor: Cell Research
1999 to 2003: Associate Editor: Journal of Immunology
2004 to present: Member of Editorial Board: Cellular & Molecular Immunology
2008 to present: Member of Editorial Board: Journal of Biological Chemistry
2008 to present: Member of Editorial board: Journal of Molecular Cell Biology
2009 to present: Member of Editorial Board: American Journal of Translational Research
2009 to present: Member of Editorial Board: Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
2010 to present: Member of Editorial Board: Cell & Biosciences
2010 to present: Member of Editorial Board: Stem Cell Research & Therapy
2010 to present: Editor: Cell Death and Diseases
2008 to present: Receiving Editor: Oncogene
2010 to 2012: Editor: Cell Death & Disease
2011 to Present: Member of Editorial Board: Stem Cells Translational Medicine
2013: Editor-in-Chief: Cell Death & Disease
2010 to present: Member of the MSCs Committee of International Society of Cell Therapy
2012: Member of Board of directors of Chinese Society for Immunology
2012: Member of Stem Cell Engineering Committee of Chinese Biomedical Engineering Society
- Lin LY, Du LM, Cao K, Huang Y, Yu PF, Zhang LY, Li FY, Wang Y, Shi YF. Tumour cell-derived exosomes endow mesenchymal stromal cells with tumour-promotion capabilities. Oncogene. 2016 May 2. doi: 10.1038/onc.2016.131.
- Shou P, Chen Q, Jiang J, Xu C, Zhang J, Zheng C, Jiang M, Velletri T, Cao W, Huang Y, Yang Q, Han X, Zhang L, Wei L, Rabson AB, Chin YE, Wang Y, Shi Y. Type I Interferons Exert Anti-tumor Effect via Reversing Immunosuppression Mediated by Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Oncogene. 2016 Apr 25. doi: 10.1038/onc.2016.128.
- Cao G, Yang Q, Zhang S, Xu C, Roberts, AI, Wang Y, Shi Y. Mesenchymal stem cells prevent restraint stress-induced lymphocyte depletion via interleukin-4. Brain Behav Immun. 2014 May;38:125-32.
- Ling W, Zhang J, Yuan Z, Ren G, Zhang L, Chen X, Rabson AB, Roberts AI, Wang Y, Shi Y. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Employ IDO to Regulate Immunity in Tumor Microenvironment. Cancer Res. 2014 Mar 1;74(5):1576-87.
- Chen Q, Shou P, Zhang L, Xu C, Zheng C, Han Y, Li W, Huang Y, Zhang X, Shao C, Roberts AI, Rabson AB, Ren G, Zhang Y, Wang Y, Denhardt DT, Shi Y. An Osteopontin-Integrin interaction plays a critical role in directing adipogenesis and osteogenesis by mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells. 2014 Feb;32(2):327-37.
- Ma S, Xie N, Li W, Yuan B, Shi Y, Wang Y. Immunobiology of mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Death Differ. 2014 Feb;21(2):216-25.
- Zhang Y, Cai W, Huang Q, Gu Y, Shi Y, Huang J, Zhao F, Liu Q, Wei X, Jin M, Wu C, Xie Q, Zhang Y, Wan B, Zhang Y. Mesenchymal stem cells alleviate bacteria-induced liver injury in mice by inducing regulatory dendritic cells. Hepatology. 2014 Feb;59(2):671-82.
- Chen X, Gan Y, Li W, Su J, Zhang Y, Huang Y, Roberts AI, Han Y, Li J, Wang Y, Shi Y. The interaction between mesenchymal stem cells and steroids during inflammation. Cell Death Disease. 2014 Jan 23; 5:e1009.
- Song X, Gao H, Lin Y, Yao Y, Zhu S, Wang J, Liu Y, Yao X, Meng G, Shen N, Shi Y, Iwakura Y, Qian Y. Alterations in the Microbiota Drive Interleukin-17C Production from Intestinal Epithelial Cells to Promote Tumorigenesis. Immunity. 2014, 40:140-152.
- Xu C, Yu P, Han X, Du L, Gan J, Wang Y, Shi Y. TGF-β Promotes Immune Responses in the Presence of Mesenchymal Stem Cells. J Immunol. 2014, 192:103-109.
- Ren G, Liu Y, Zhao X, Zhang J, Zheng B, Yuag Z, Zhang L, Tischfield J, Shao C, Shi Y. Tumor resident mesenchymal stromal cells endow naïve stromal cells with tumor-promoting properties. Oncogene. 2013 Sep 30. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.387.
- Su J, Chen X, Huang Y, Li W, Li J, Cao K, Cao G, Zhang L, Li F, Roberts AI, Kang H, Yu P, Ren G, Ji W, Wang Y, Shi Y. Phylogenetic distinction of iNOS and IDO function in mesenchymal stem cell-mediated immunosuppression in mammalian species. Cell Death Differ. 2013 Oct 25. doi: 10.1038/cdd.2013.149.
- Xu C, Lin L, Cao G, Chen Q, Shou P, Huang Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Shi Y. Interferon-α-secreting mesenchymal stem cells exert potent antitumor effect in vivo. Oncogene. 2013 Nov 4. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.458.
- Huang Y, Yu P, Li W, Ren G, Roberts, AI, Cao W, Zhang X, Su J, Chen X, Chen Q, Shou P, Xu C, Du L, Lin L, Zhang L, Xie N, Wang Y and Shi Y. p53 regulates mesenchymal stem cell-mediated tumor suppression in a tumor microenvironment through immune modulation. Oncogene. 2013, Aug 26. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.355.
- Lang JY, Shi Y, Chin YE. Reprogramming cancer cells: back to the future. Oncogene. 2013, 32(18):2247-2248.
- Hou J, Han Z, Jing Y, Yang X, Zhang S, Sun K, Hao C, Meng Y, Yu F, Liu X, Shi Y, Wu M, Zhang L, Wei L. Autophagy prevents irradiation injury and maintains stemness through decreasing ROS generation in mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Death Disease. 2013, 4:e844.
- Chen P, Zhang J, Zhan Y, Su J, Du Y, Xu G, Shi Y, Siebenlist U, Zhang X. Established thymic epithelial progenitor/stem cell-like cell lines differentiate into mature thymic epithelial cells and support T cell development. PLoS One. 2013, 8:e75222.
- Zhang J, Liu C, Roberts AI, Xu G, REN G, Zhang L, Devadas S and Shi Y. A novel subset of helper T cells promotes immune responses by secreting GM-CSF. Cell Death Differ. 2013, 20:1731-1741.
- Wu Q, Wang H, Zhao X, Shi Y, Jin M, Wan B, Xu H, Cheng Y, Ge H, Zhang Y. Identification of G-protein-coupled receptor 120 as a tumor-promoting receptor that induces angiogenesis and migration in human colorectal carcinoma. Oncogene. 2013 Dec 5;32(49):5541-50.
- Yu B, He Z, You P, Han Q, Xiang D, Chen F, Wang M, Liu C, Lin X, Borjigin U, Zi X, Li J, Zhu H, Li W, Han C, Wangensteen KJ, Shi Y, Hui L, Wang X, Hu Y. Reprogramming fibroblasts into bipotential hepatic stem cells by defined factors. Cell Stem Cell. 2013, 13:328-340.
- Liu B, Chen X, Wang Y, Shi Y. Curative effect of hepatic portal venous administration of autologous bone marrow in AIDS patients with decompensatedliver cirrhosis. Cell Death Disease 2013, 4:e739.
- Phinney DG, Galipeau J, Krampera M, Martin I, Shi Y, Sensebe L. MSCs: science and trials. Nature Medicine 2013, 19:812-812.
- Wei X, Yang X, Han Z, Qu F, Shao L, Shi Y. Mesenchymal stem
cells: a new trend for cell therapy. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2013, 34,747-754.
- Xu C, Ren G, Cao G, Chen Q, Shou P, Zheng C, Du L, Han X, Jiang M, Yang Q, Lin L, Wang G, Yu P, Zhang X, Cao W, Brewer G, Wang Y, Shi Y. MiR-155 regulates immune modulatory properties of mesenchymal stem cells by targeting TAK1-binding protein 2. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2013, 288:11074-11079.
- Krampera M, Galipeau J, Shi Y, Tarte K, Sensebe L. Immunological characterization of multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells - The International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT) working proposal. Cytotherapy. 2013, 15(9):1054-61.
- Wu X, Chesoni S, Rondeau G, Tempesta C, Patel R, Charles S, Daginawala N, Zucconi BE, Kishor A, Xu G, Shi Y, Li ML, Barreto PI, Welsh J, Wilson GM, Brewer G. Combinatorial mRNA binding by AUF1 and Argonaute 2 controls decay of selected target mRNAs. Nucleic Acids Research 2013, 41:2644-2658.
- Yang X, Hou J, Han Z, Wang Y, Hao C, Wei L, Shi Y. One cell, multiple roles: contribution of mesenchymal stem cells to tumor development in tumor microenvironment. Cell & Bioscience 2013, 3:5-10.
- Zeng A, Li Y, Wang C, Han X, Li G, Wang JY, Li D, Qin Y, Shi Y, Brewer G, Jing Q. Heterochromatin protein 1 promotes self-renewal and triggers regenerative proliferation in adult stem cells. The Journal of Cell Biology 2013, 201:409-425.
- Liu Z, Jiang Y, Hou Y, Hu Y, Cao X, Tao Y, Xu C, Liu S, Wang S, Wang L, Shi Y, Siebenlist U, Zhang X. The IκB family member Bcl-3 stabilizes c-Myc in colorectal cancer. Journal of Molecular Cell Biology 2013, 5: 280-282.
- Qu F, Gao H, Zhu S, Shi P, Zhang Y, Liu Y, Jallal B, Yao Y, Shi Y, Qian Y. TRAF6-dependent Act1 phosphorylation by the IκB kinase-related kinases suppresses interleukin-17-induced NF-κB activation. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2012, 32:3925-3937.
- Ren G, Zhao X, Wang Y, Zhang X, Chen X, Xu C, Yuan Z, Roberts A, Zhang L, Zheng B, Wen T, Han Y, Rabson A, Tischfield J, Shao C, Shi Y. CCR2-dependent recruitment of macrophages by tumor-educated mesenchymal stromal cells promotes tumor development and is mimicked by TNFα. Cell Stem Cell 2012, 11:812-824.
- L’huillier A, Ren G, Shi Y, Zhang J. A two-hit model of autoimmunity: lymphopenia and unresponsiveness to TGF-β signaling. Cellular & Molecular Immunology 2012, 9:369-370.
- Zhu S, Pan W, Song X, Liu Y, Shao X, Tang Y, Liang D, He D, Wang H, Liu W, Shi Y, Harley JB, Shen N, Qian Y. The microRNA miR-23b suppresses IL-17-associated autoimmune inflammation by targeting TAB2, TAB3 and IKK-α. Nat Med 2012, 18:1077-1086.
- Yao Y, Wang Y, Chen F, Huang Y, Zhu S, Leng Q, Wang H, Shi Y, Qian Y. NLRC5 regulates MHC class I antigen presentation in host defense against intracellular pathogens. Cell Res 2012, 22:836-847.
- Li W, Ren G, Huang Y, Su J, Han Y, Li J, Chen X, Cao K, Chen Q, Shou P, Zhang L, Yuan ZR, Roberts AI, Shi S, Le AD, Shi Y. Mesenchymal stem cells: a double-edged sword in regulating immune responses. Cell Death Differ 2012, 19:1505-1513.
- Han Z, Jing Y, Zhang S, Liu Y, Shi Y, Wei L. The role of immunosuppression of mesenchymal stem cells in tissue repair and tumor growth. Cell & Bioscience 2012, 2:8.
- Shi Y, Su J, Roberts AI, Shou P, Rabson AB, Ren G. How mesenchymal stem cells interact with tissue immune responses. Trends in Immunology 2012, 33:136-143.
- Sensebé L, Tarte K, Galipeau J, Krampera M, Martin I, Phinney DG, Shi Y. Limited Acquisition of Chromosomal Aberrations in Human Adult Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Cell Stem Cell 2012, 10:9-10.
- Shi Y, Wei L, Wang Y, Ren G. Stem Cells Deployed for Bone Repair Hijacked by T Cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2012, 10:6-8.
- Galluzzi L, Vitale I, Abrams JM, Alnemri ES, Baehrecke EH, Blagosklonny MV, Dawson TM, Dawson VL, El-Deiry WS, Fulda S, Gottlieb E, Green DR, Hengartner MO, Kepp O, Knight RA, Kumar S, Lipton SA, Lu X, Madeo F, Malorni W, Mehlen P, Nunez G, Peter ME, Piacentini M, Rubinsztein DC, Shi Y, Simon HU, Vandenabeele P, White E, Yuan J, Zhivotovsky B, Melino G, Kroemer G. Molecular definitions of cell death subroutines: recommendations of the Nomenclature Committee on Cell Death 2012. Cell Death and Differentiation 2012, 19:107-120.
- Ren G, Chen X, Dong F, Li W, Ren X, Zhang Y, Shi Y. Concise review: mesenchymal stem cells and rranslational medicine: emerging issues. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2012, 1:51-58.
- Han Z, Tian Z, Lv G, Zhang L, Jiang G, Sun K, Wang C, Bu X, Li R, Shi Y, Wu M, Wei L. Immunosuppressive effect of bone marrow‐derived mesenchymal stem cells in inflammatory microenvironment favours the growth of B16 melanoma cells. J Cell Mol Med. 2011, 15:2343-2352.
- Shi P, Zhu S, Lin Y, Liu Y, Liu Y, Chen Zn, Shi Y, Qian Y. Persistent Stimulation with Interleukin-17 Desensitizes Cells Through SCFβ-TrCP-Mediated Degradation of Act1. Sci Signal 2011, 4:ra73.
- Song X, Zhu S, Shi P, Liu Y, Shi Y, Levin SD, Qian Y. IL-17RE is the functional receptor for IL-17C and mediates mucosal immunity to infection with intestinal pathogens. Nat Immunol 2011 Oct 12;12(12):1151-8.
- Cao W, Yang Y, Wang Z, Liu A, Fang L, Wu F, Hong J, Shi Y, Leung S, Dong C, Zhang JZ. Leukemia Inhibitory Factor Inhibits T Helper 17 Cell Differentiation and Confers Treatment Effects of Neural Progenitor Cell Therapy in Autoimmune Disease. Immunity 2011, 35:273-284.
- Krause CD, Izotova LS, Ren G, Yuan ZR, Shi Y, Chen CC, Ron Y, Pestka S. Efficient co-expression of bicistronic proteins in mesenchymal stem cells by development and optimization of a multifunctional plasmid. Stem Cell Research & Therapy 2011, 2:1-20.
- Yamaza T, Ren G, Akiyama K, Chen C, Shi Y, Shi S. Mouse mandible contains distinctive mesenchymal stem cells. Journal of Dental Research 2011, 90:317-324.
- Zhao F, Zhang Y, Wang H, Jin M, S, He S, Shi Y, Guo Y and Zhang Y. Blockade of osteopontin reduces alloreactive CD8+ T cell-mediated graft-versus-host disease. Blood 2011, 179:1723-33.
- Ren G, Roberts AI, Shi Y. Adhesion molecules: key players in mesenchymal stem cell-mediated immunosuppression. Cell Adhesion & Migration 2011, 5:20-22.
- Zhu S, Pan W, Shi P, Gao H, Zhao F, Song X, Liu Y, Zhao L, Li X, Shi Y, Qian Y. Modulation of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis through TRAF3-mediated suppression of interleukin 17 receptor signaling. J Exp Med 2010, 207:2647-62.
- Hu G, Ren G, Shi Y. The putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55 promotes cancer cell proliferation. Oncogene 2010, 30:139-141.
- Swaims AY, Khani F, Zhang Y, Roberts AI, Devadas S, Shi Y*, Rabson AB*. Immune activation induces immortalization of HTLV-1 LTR-Tax transgenic CD4+ T-cells. Blood. 2010 Oct 21;116(16):2994-3003. (*equal contribution)
- Arriola A, Kiel ME, Shi Y, McKinnon RD. Adjunctive MSCs enhance myelin formation by xenogenic oligodendrocyte precursors transplanted in the retina. Cell Res. 2010, 20:728-31.
- Shi YF, Hu GZ, Su JJ, Li WZ, Chen Q, Shou PS, Xu CL, Chen XD, Huang Y, Zhu ZX, Huang X, Han XY, Xie NX, Ren GW. Mesenchymal stem cells: a new strategy for immunosuppression and tissue repair. Cell Res. 2010, 20: 519-528.
- Ye W, Gong X, Xie J, Wu J, Zhang X, Ouyang Q, Zhao X, Shi Y, Zhang X. AChE deficiency or inhibition decreases apoptosis and p53 expression and protects renal function after ischemia/reperfusion. Apoptosis. 2010, 15:474-87.
- Yamaza T, Kentaro A, Chen C, Liu Y, Shi Y, Gronthos S, Wang S, Shi S. Immunomodulatory properties of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2010, 1:5.
- Ren GW, Zhao X, Zhang LY, Zhang JM, L’Huillier A, Ling WF, Roberts AI, Le AD, Shi ST, Shao CS, and Shi YF. Inflammatory Cytokine-Induced Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1 and Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule-1 in Mesenchymal Stem Cells Are Critical for Immunosuppression. J Immunol. 2010, 184:2321-2328.
- Markovina S, Callander NS, O´Connor SL, Xu G, Shi Y, Leith CP, Kim K, Trivedi P, Kim J, Hematti P, Miyamoto S. Bone marrow stromal cells from multiple myeloma patients uniquely induce bortezomib resistant NF-kappaB activity in myeloma cells. Mol Cancer. 2010, 9:176-188.
- Zhao X, Ren GW, Liang L, Zheng B, Tischfield JA, Shi YF, Shao CS. Brief report: IFN-γ induces expansion of Lin-Sca-1+C-Kit+ Cells. Stem Cells. 2010, 28: 122-126.
- Zhang Q, Shi S, Liu Y, Uyanne J, Shi Y, Shi S, Le AD. Mesenchymal stem cells derived from human gingiva are capable of immunomodulatory functions and ameliorate inflammation-related tissue destruction in experimental colitis. The Journal of Immunology 2009, 183:7787-7798.
- Das J, Ren GW, Zhang LY, Roberts IA, Zhao X, Bothwel ALM, Kaer LV, Shi YF, Das G. Transforming growth factor β is dispensable for the molecular orchestration of Th17 cell differentiation. J Exp Med 2009 Oct 29;206(11):2407-16.
- Izotova LS, Krause CD, Ren G, Yuan ZR, Shi Y, Pestka S. Visualizing engineered interferon-producing cells with multicistronic vectors and fluorescent proteins. Cytokine 2009, 48: 94.
- Kong L, Sun L, Zhang H, Liu Q, Liu Y, Qin L, Shi G, Hu JH, Xu A, Sun YP, Li D, Shi YF, Zang JW, Zhu J, Chen Z, Wang ZG, Ge BX. An essential role for RIG-I in toll-like receptor-stimulated phagocytosis. Cell Host Microbe (by Cell Press) 2009, 6:150-161.
- Ren G, Su J, Zhang L, Zhao X, Ling W, L´huillie A, Zhang J, Lu Y, Roberts AI, Ji W, Rabson AB, Shi YF. Species Variation in the Mechanisms of Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Mediated Immunosuppression. Stem Cells. 2009, 27:1954-1962.
- Shi Y, Zhu J, Salomoni P, Tucci P, Lu X. A Sino-British frontier workshop of cancer biology. Cell Death & Differentiation 2009, 16:648-650.
- Vavassori S, Shi Y, Chen CC, Ron Y, Covey LR. In vivo post-transcriptional regulation of CD154 in mouse CD4+ T cells. Eur J Immunol 2009, 39:2224-2232.
- Xu G, Zhang Y, Zhang L, Roberts, A.I., Shi YF. C/EBPβ Mdiates the Synergistic Upregulation of Gene Expression by IFN-γ and TNF-α in Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Stem Cells. 2009, 27:942-984.
- Wang KX, Shi YF, Ron Y, Kazanecki CC, Denhardt DT. Plasma osteopontin modulates chronic restraint stress-induced thymus atrophy by regulating stress hormones: inhibition by an anti-osteopontin monoclonal antibody. Journal of Immunology 2009, 182:2485-2491.
- Izotova LS, Krause CD, Ren G, Yuan ZR, Shi Y, Pestka S. PP2-014 Visualizing engineered interferon-producing cells with multicistronic vectors and fluorescent proteins. Abstracts/Cytokine 2009, 48:91-137.
- Qian Y, Shi Y. Natural killer cells go inside: entosis versus cannibalism. Cell Res. 2009; 9:1320-1321.
- Xu G, Zhang Y, Zhang L, Ren G, Shi YF. Bone marrow stromal cells induce apoptosis of lymphoma cells in the presence of IFNgamma and TNF by producing nitric oxide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008, 375: 666-670.
- Ren GW, Su JJ, Zhao X, Zhang LY, Zhang JM, Roberts AI, Zhang HT, Das G, Shi YF. Apoptotic cells induce immunosuppression through dendritic cells: critical roles of IFN-gamma and nitric oxide. Journal of immunology. 2008, 181: 3277-84.
- Zhao RC, Zhu YS, Shi YF. New Hope for Cancer Treatment: exploring the distinction betweennormal adult stem cells and cancer stem cells. Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2008, 119: 74-82.
- Zhang YY, Xu GW, Zhang LY, Roberts AI, Shi YF. Th17 Cells Undergo Fas-mediated Activation-induced Cell Independent of IFN-γ. J. Immunol. 2008, 181: 190-196.
- Yuan ZR and Shi YF. Chloramphenicol induces abnormal cell differentiation and inhibits apoptosis in activated T cells: possible links to leukemogenesis. Cancer Research. 2008, 68: 4875-4881.
- Zhang J, Jiang H, Gao W, Wu J, Peng K, Shi Y, Zhang X. The JNK/AP1/ATF2 pathway is involved in H 2 O 2-induced acetylcholinesterase expression during apoptosis. Cell Mol Life Sci 2008, 65:1435-1445.
- Shi YF and August DA. A New Trick for an Old Drug: mTOR Inhibitor Rapamycin Augments the Effect of Fluorouracil on Hepatocellular Carcinoma through Inducing Cell Senescence. Commentary. Cancer Biology and Therapeutics. 2008, 7:397-8.
- Ren GW, Zhang LY, Zhao X, Xu GW, Zhang YY, Roberts AI, Zhao RC, and Shi YF. Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Mediated Immunosuppression Occurs via Concerted Action of Chemokines and Nitric Oxide. Cell Stem Cell (by Cell Press). 2008, 2: 141-150.
- Zhu H, Gao W, Jiang H, Jin QH, Shi YF, Tsim KW, Zhang XJ. Regulation of acetylcholinesterase expression by calcium signaling during calcium ionophore A23187- and thapsigargin-induced apoptosis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2007, 39: 93-108.
- Zhu H, Gao W, Shi YF, Zhang XJ. The CCAAT-binding factor CBF/NF-Y regulates the human acetylcholinesterase promoter activity during calcium ionophore A23187-induced cell apoptosis. Biochim Biophys Acta-General Subjects. 2007, 1770: 1475-1482.
- Chen L, Zhang W, Yue H, Han Q, Chen B, Shi M, Li J, Li B, You S, Shi Y, Zhao RC. Effects of human mesenchymal stem cells on the differentiation of dendritic cells from CD34+ cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2007, 16(5): 719-31.
- Xu G, Zhang Y, Zhang L, Ren G, Shi Y. The role of IL-6 in inhibition of lymphocyte apoptosis by mesenchymal stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 2007, 361: 745-50.
- Wang K, Desai B, Shi Y* and Denhardt DT*. Osteopontin regulates hindlimb-unloading-induced lymphoid organ atrophy through modulating corticosteroid production. PNAS 2007, 104:14777-14782.
- Ehirchiou D, Amarnath S, Xiong Y, Xu GU, Chen WJ, Shi YF and Zhang L. CD11b Facilitates the Development of Peripheral Tolerance by Suppressing Th17 Differentiation. J Exp Med. 2007, 204: 1519-24.
- Xu GW and Shi YF. Apoptosis signaling pathways and lymphocyte homeostasis. Cell Res. 2007, 17: 759-71.
- Zhu H, Gao W, Jiang H, Wu J, Shi YF, Zhang XJ. Calcineurin mediates acetylcholinesterase expression during calcium ionophore A23187-induced HeLa cell apoptosis. Biochim Biophys Acta-Molecular Cell Res. 2007, 1773: 593-602.
- Swaims AY, Devadas SY, Shi Y, AB Rabson. Immune stimulation of LTR-tax transgenic CD4 (+) T cells induces hyperproliferation, hyperresponsiveness, and prolonged cell survival. Aids Research and Human Retroviruses 2007, 23:638-638.
- Xu G, Zhang L, Ren G, Yuan Z, Zhang Y, Zhao R, Shi Y. Immunosuppressive properties of cloned bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Res 2007, 17:240-248.
- Das J, Eynott P, Van Kaer L, Das G* and Shi Y*. NKT cells and CD8+ T-cells are dispensable for T-cell dependent allergic airway inflammation. Nature Medicine 2006, 12:1345-1346.
- Das G, Mittal J, Zhang YY, Bothwell A, Van Kare Luc, and Shi YF. Pivotal Roles of Major Histocompatibility Complex Class Ib Restricted CD8+ T Cells in Autoimmune Diseases. J Exp Med. 2006, 203: 2603-11.
- Devadas S, Das J, Liu C, Zhang L, Roberts AI, Pan Z, Moore PA, Das G, Shi Y. Granzyme B is critical for T cell receptor-induced cell death of Type 2 helper T cells. Immunity 2006, 25:237-247.
- Shi Y, Roberts AI, Sun E. Dying T lymphocytes call for the death of tumor cells. Commentary. Cell Res. 2006, 16(8): 679-80.
- Degenhardt K, Mathew R, Beaudoin B, Bray K, Anderson D, Chen G, Mukherjee C, Shi Y, Gelinas C, Fan Y, Nelson DA, Jin S, White E. Autophagy promotes tumor cell survival and restricts necrosis, inflammation, and tumorigenesis. Cancer Cell. 2006, 10: 51-64.
- Devadas S, Liu C, Shi Y. Novel helper T cell subset helps other T cells through producing GM-CSF. The Journal of Immunology 2006, 176:S14-S15.
- Shi YF and Devadas A. Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF) and T-Cell Responses: What We Do and Don´t Know. Cell Res. 2006, 16: 126-33.
- Yuan ZR, Wang RX, Lou XY, Zhang LY and Shi YF. Identification and Characterization of a Novel Cell Survival Gene Critical in Apoptosis and Tumorigenesis. Cancer Research. 2005, 65: 10716-24.
- Greeneltch KM, Kelly-Welch AN, Keegan AD and Shi YF. Chronic Morphine Administration Promotes Th2 Differentiation via a Fas/FasL-Dependent Mechanism. J Immunol. 2004, 175: 4999-5005.
- Greeneltch KM, Haudenschild CC, Keegan AD, Shi YF. The Opioid Antagonist Naltrexone Blocks Acute Endotoxic Shock by Inhibiting Tumor Necrosis Factor-a Production. Brain Behav Immun. 2004, 18: 476-84.
- Sun EW, Gao Y, Chen JF, Roberts AI, Wang XN, Chen ZH, and Shi YF. Allograft Tolerance Induced by Donor Apoptotic Lymphocytes Requires Phagocytosis in the Recipient. Cell Death and Diff. 2004, 11: 1258-1264.
- Jin QH, He HY, Shi YF, Lu H, Zhang XJ. Overexpression of acetylcholinesterase inhibited cell proliferation and promoted apoptosis in NRK cells. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2004, 25: 1013-21.
- Pestka S, Krause C, Sarkar D, Walter M, Shi YF, Fisher P. IL-10, Interferons and Related Class 2 Cytokines and Receptors. Ann Rev Immunol. 2004, 22: 929-979.
- Roberts AI, Devadas S, Zhang X, Zhang L, Keegan A, Greeneltch K, Solomon J, Wei L, Das J, Sun E, Liu C, Yuan Z, Zhou JN, Shi Y. The role of activation-induced cell death in the differentiation of T-helper-cell subsets. Immunologic Research 2003, 28:285-293.
- Wei LX, Zhou JN, Roberts AI, Shi YF. Lymphocyte Reduction Induced by Hindlimb Unloading: Distinct Mechanisms in the Spleen and Thymus. Cell Res. 2003, 13: 465-71.
- Shi YF, Devadas S, Greeneltch KM, Yin D, Allan Mufson R and Zhou J. Stressed to death: Implication of lymphocyte apoptosis for psychoneuroimmunology. Brain Behav Immun. 2003, 17: 18-26.
- Solomon JC, Sharma K, Wei LX, Fujita T and Shi YF. A Novel Role for Sphingolipid Intermediates in Activation- Induced Cell Death in T-cells. Cell Death Differ. 2003, 10: 193-202.
- Zhang XR, Zhang LY, Devadas S, Li L, Keegan AD and Shi YF. Reciprocal Expression of TRAIL and CD95L in Th1 and Th2 Cells: Role of Apoptosis in T Helper Subset Differentiation. Cell Death Differ. 2003, 10: 216-224.
- Jin QH, Shi YF, He HY, Ng KK, Jiang H, Yang L, Jiang ZQ and Zhang XJ. Isolation of acetylcholinesterase from apoptotic human lung fibroblast cells by antibody affinity chromatography. Biotechniques. 2002, Suppl: 92-94.
- Wang RX and Shi YF. A simplified protocol for apoptosis assay by DNA content analysis. Biotechniques. 2002, Suppl: 88-91.
- Tonon G, Luo X, Greco NJ, Chen W, Shi YF and Jamieson GA. Weak platelet agonists and U46619 induce apoptosis-like events in platelets, in the absence of phosphatidylserine exposure. Thromb Res. 2002, 107: 345-350.
- Zhang XJ, Yang L, Zhao Q, Caen JP, He HY, Jin QH, Guo LH, Alemany M, Zhang LY and Shi YF. Induction of acetylcholinesterase expression during apoptosis in various cell types. Cell Death Differ. 2002, 9: 790-800.
- Li L, Qi X, Williams M, Shi YF and Keegan AD. Overexpression of insulin receptor substrate-1, but not insulin receptor substrate-2, protects a T cell hybridoma from activation- induced cell death. J Immunol. 2002, 168: 6215-6223.
- Wang R, Zhang L, Zhang X, Moreno J, Celluzzi C, Tondravi M and Shi YF. Regulation of activation-induced receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand (RANKL) expression in T cells. Eur J Immunol. 2002, 32: 1090-1098.
- Gao Y, Shuang W, Shi Y, Sun E. Permanent liver allograft survival induced by transfusion of apoptotic donor splenocyte without immunosuppression. Cell Res 2002, 12:272-273.
- Sun EW and Shi YF. Apoptosis: the quiet death silences the immune system. Pharmacol Ther. 2001, 92: 135-145.
- Gubina E, Luo X, Kwon E, Sakamoto K, Shi YF and Mufson RA. Betac cytokine receptor-induced stimulation of cAMP response element binding protein phosphorylation requires protein kinase C in myeloid cells: a novel cytokine signal transduction cascade. J Immunol. 2001, 167: 4303-4310.
- Wang R, Zhang L, Zhang X, Moreno J, Luo X, Tondravi M and Shi YF. Differential regulation of the expression of CD95 ligand, receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappa B ligand (RANKL), TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), and TNF-alpha during T cell activation. J Immunol. 2001, 166: 1983-1990.
- Sharma K, Wang RX, Zhang LY, Yin DL, Luo XY, Solomon JC, Jiang RF, Markos K, Davidson W, Scott DW and Shi YF. Death the Fas way: regulation and pathophysiology of CD95 and its ligand. Pharmacol Ther. 2000, 88: 333-347.
- Yin D, Tuthill D, Mufson RA and Shi YF. Chronic restraint stress promotes lymphocyte apoptosis by modulating CD95 expression. J Exp Med. 2000, 191: 1423-1428.
- Yin D, Zhang L, Wang R, Radvanyi L, Haudenschild C, Fang Q, Kehry MR and Shi YF. Ligation of CD28 in vivo induces CD40 ligand expression and promotes B cell survival. J Immunol. 1999, 163: 4328-4334.
- Sharma K and Shi YF. The yins and yangs of ceramide. Cell Res. 1999, 9: 1-10.
- Yin D, Mufson RA, Wang R and Shi YF. Fas-mediated cell death promoted by opioids. Nature. 1999, 397: 218.
- Su Y, Damjanovski S, Shi YF and Shi YB. Molecular and cellular basis of tissue remodeling during amphibian metamorphosis. Histol Histopathol. 1999, 14: 175-183.
- Wang R, Brunner T, Zhang L and Shi YF. Fungal metabolite FR901228 inhibits c-Myc and Fas ligand expression. Oncogene. 1998, 17: 1503-1508.
- Wang R, Zhang L, Yin D, Mufson RA and Shi YF. Protein kinase C regulates Fas (CD95/APO-1) expression. J Immunol. 1998, 161: 2201-2207.
- Zamorano J, Wang HY, Wang R, Shi YF, Longmore GD and Keegan AD. Regulation of cell growth by IL-2: role of STAT5 in protection from apoptosis but not in cell cycle progression. J Immunol. 1998, 160: 3502-3512.
- Su Y, Shi YF, Stolow MA and Shi YB. Thyroid hormone induces apoptosis in primary cell cultures of tadpole intestine: cell type specificity and effects of extracellular matrix. J Cell Biol. 1997, 139: 1533-1543.
- Shi YF, Wang R, Sharma A, Gao C, Collins M, Penn L and Mills GB. Dissociation of cytokine signals for proliferation and apoptosis. J Immunol. 1997, 159: 5318-5328.
- Liang FT, Granstrom DE, Timoney JF and Shi YF. Micropreparative high resolution purification of proteins by a combination of sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, and membrane blotting. Anal Biochem. 1997, 250: 61-65.
- Shi YF, Hill M, Novak A, Chen ZQ, Wang RX, Liew CC and Mills GB. Human hematopoietic cell express two forms of the cytokine receptor common gamma-chain (gamma c). Cell Res. 1997, 7: 195-205.
- Su Y*, Shi YF* and Shi YB. Cyclosporin A but not FK506 inhibits thyroid hormone-induced apoptosis in tadpole intestinal epithelium. Faseb J. 1997, 11: 559-565. (*equal contribution)
- Wang R, Fang Q, Zhang L, Radvany L, Sharma A, Noben-Trauth N, Mills GB and Shi YF. CD28 ligation prevents bacterial toxin-induced septic shock in mice by inducing IL-10 expression. J Immunol. 1997, 158: 2856-2861.
- Liang T, Granstrom DE and Shi YF. Concentrating protein samples for sodium dodecyl sulphate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and isoelectric focusing using protein-blotting membranes. J Chromatogr A. 1997, 764: 143-150.
- Radvanyi LG, Shi YF, Mills GB and Miller RG. Cell cycle progression out of G1 sensitizes primary-cultured nontransformed T cells to TCR-mediated apoptosis. Cellular immunology. 1996, 170: 260-273.
- Scott DW, Grdina T and Shi YF. T cells commit suicide, but B cells are murdered! J Immunol. 1996, 156: 2352-2356.(Cutting Edge)
- Shi Y*, Radvanyi LG*, Vaziri H, Sharma A, Dhala R, Mills GB and Miller RG. CD28 costimulation inhibits TCR-induced apoptosis during a primary T cell response. The Journal of Immunology 1996, 156:1788-1798.
- McGahon AJ, Martin SJ, Bissonnette RP, Mahboubi A, Shi YF, Mogil RJ, Nishioka WK and Green DR. The end of the (cell) line: methods for the study of apoptosis in vitro. Methods Cell Biol. 1995, 46: 153-185.
- Shi YF*, Radvanyi LG*, Sharma A, Shaw P, Green DR, Miller RG and Mills GB. CD28-mediated signaling in vivo prevents activation-induced apoptosis in the thymus and alters peripheral lymphocyte homeostasis. J Immunol. 1995, 155: 1829-1837. (*equal contribution)
- Shi YF, Frankel A, Radvanyi LG, Penn LZ, Miller RG and Mills GB. Rapamycin enhances apoptosis and increases sensitivity to cisplatin in vitro. Cancer Res. 1995, 55: 1982-1988.
- Green DR, Mahboubi A, Nishioka W, Oja S, Echeverri F, Shi YF, Glynn J, Yang Y, Ashwell J and Bissonnette R. Promotion and inhibition of activation-induced apoptosis in T-cell hybridomas by oncogenes and related signals. Immunol Rev. 1994, 142: 321-342.
- Rabinovitch A, Suarez-Pinzon WL, Shi YF, Morgan AR and Bleackley RC. DNA fragmentation is an early event in cytokine-induced islet beta-cell destruction. Diabetologia. 1994, 37: 733-738.
- Mogil RJ*, Shi YF*, Bissonnette RP, Bromley P, Yamaguchi I and Green DR. Role of DNA fragmentation in T cell activation-induced apoptosis in vitro and in vivo. J Immunol. 1994, 152: 1674-1683. (*equal contribution)
- Mills GB, Schmandt R, Gibson S, Leung B, Hill M, May C, Shi YF, Branch DR, Radvanyi L, Truitt KE and et al. Transmembrane signaling by the interleukin-2 receptor: progress and conundrums. Semin Immunol. 1993, 5: 345-364.
- Shi YF, Kornovski BS, Savani R and Turley EA. A rapid, multiwell colorimetric assay for chemotaxis. J Immunol Methods. 1993, 164: 149-154.
- Helgason CD, Shi L, Greenberg AH, Shi YF, Bromley P, Cotter TG, Green DR and Bleackley RC. DNA fragmentation induced by cytotoxic T lymphocytes can result in target cell death. Exp Cell Res. 1993, 206: 302-310.
- Green DR, Bissonnette RP, Glynn JM and Shi YF. Activation-induced apoptosis in lymphoid systems. Semin Immunol. 1992, 4: 379-388.
- Green DR, Zheng H and Shi YF. Antisense oligodeoxynucleotides as probes of T-lymphocyte gene function. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1992, 660: 193-203.
- Shi YF, Glynn JM, Guilbert LJ, Cotter TG, Bissonnette RP and Green DR. Role for c-myc in activation-induced apoptotic cell death in T cell hybridomas. Science. 1992, 257: 212-214. (with cover illustration)
- Shi YF, Bissonnette RP, Parfrey N, Szalay M, Kubo RT and Green DR. In vivo administration of monoclonal antibodies to the CD3 T cell receptor complex induces cell death (apoptosis) in immature thymocytes. J Immunol. 1991, 146: 3340-3346.
- Shi YF, Szalay MG, Paskar L, Sahai BM, Boyer M, Singh B and Green DR. Activation-induced cell death in T cell hybridomas is due to apoptosis. Morphologic aspects and DNA fragmentation. J Immunol. 1990, 144: 3326-3333.
- Shi YF, Sahai BM and Green DR. Cyclosporin A inhibits activation-induced cell death in T-cell hybridomas and thymocytes. Nature. 1989, 339: 625-626.
- Shi YF, Mahrt JL and Mogil RJ. Kinetics of murine delayed-type hypersensitivity response to Eimeria falciformis (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae). Infect Immun. 1989, 57: 146-151.
- Mahrt JL and Shi YF. Murine major histocompatibility complex and immune response to Eimeria falciformis. Infect Immun. 1988, 56: 270-271.
Invited reviews, comments and book chapters
1. Sun E, Zhang L, Roberts AI, Liu C and Shi Y. Chronic stress induced death of lymphocytes. Cytokines: Stress and Immunity Second Edition, edited by Nicholas P Plotnikoff, Robert E Faith, Anthony J Murgo, and Robert A Good. 2005, CRC Press.
2. Shi Y, Devadas S, Zhang X, Zhang L, Keegan AD, Greeneltch K, Solomon JC, Yuan Z, Sun E, Liu C, Das J, Thayyil-Satish M, Wei L, Zhou J and Roberts AI. Activation-Induced Cell Death and T Helper Subset Differentiation. In Shi YF, Cidlowski J, Scott DW and Shi YB. (Eds.) Molecular Mechanisms of Programmmed Cell Death Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York 2003.
3. Sun E and Shi Y. The mechanisms and significance of immune tolerance induced by apoptotic cells. In Shi YF, Cidlowski J, Scott DW and Shi YB. (Eds.). Molecular Mechanisms of Programmed Cell Death Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York 2003.
4. Wang R, Zhang L, Yin D, Mufson RA and Shi Y. Regulation of Fas and FasL expression during activation-induced T-cell apoptosis. In Talwar GP, Nath I, Ganguly NK and Rao KVS. (Eds.) Proceedings of 10th International Congress of Immunology Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, Italy 1999, pp 499-505.
5. Shi Y, Mills GB and Wang R. Mitogenic Cytokines Promote Apoptosis: Possible Roles in Cellular Homeostasis. In Shi YB, Shi YF, Scott DW and Xu YH. (Eds.) Current Advances in Programmed Cell Death Plenum Publishing Corp., New York 1997, pp 113-142.
6. Scott DW, Brunner T, Donjerkovic D, Ezhevsky S, Grdina T, Green DR, Shi Y and Yao X. Murder and suicide: A tale of T and B cell apoptosis. In Shi YB, Shi YF, Scott DW and Xu YH. (Eds.) Current Advances in Programmed Cell Death Plenum Publishing Corp., New York 1997, pp 91-103.
7. Shi Y and Wang R. Apoptosis and immune regulation. In Li C, Guo Y, Yie Q and Tang X. (Eds.) Current Advance in Tumor Molecular Biology Medical Science Publisher, Beijing 1996, pp 61-69.
8. Scott DW, Ezhevksy S, Maddox B, Washart K, Yao X and Shi Y. Scenes from short life: checkpoints and progression signals for immature B-cell life versus apoptosis. In Rigley K, and Harnett M. (Eds.). John Wiley, Chichester, England. 1995, pp 165-175.
9. Green DR, Shi Y, Glynn JM, Mahboubi A and Mogil RJ. Myc, Fas, apoptosis, and immune tolerance. In: Apoptosis. In Mihich E and Schimke RT. (Eds.) Apoptosis Plenum Press, New York 1994, pp 213-222.
10. Bissonnette RP, Shi Y, Mahboubi A, Glynn JM. C-myc and apoptosis. Current Communications in Cell and Molecular Biology 1994, 327-327.
11. Bissonnette RP, Shi Y, Mahboubi A, Glynn JM and Green DR. C-myc and apoptosis. In Tomei LD and Cope FO. (Eds.) Apoptosis II: The Molecular Basis of Cell Death Cold Spring Harbor Lab Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 1994, pp 327-335.
12. Green DR and Shi Y. Activation-induced cell death in developing T cells and T cell hybridomas. In Malhotra SK. (Ed.) Advances in Structural Biology JAI Press, Inc. 1990, pp 287-299.
1. Shi YB, Shi Y, Scott DW, and Xu Y. 1997. Programmed Cell Death. Plenum Press, New York.
2. Shi Y, Cidlowski J, Scott DW, and Shi YB. 2003. Molecular Mechanisms of Programmmed Cell Death. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York.
3. Liu X, Pestka S. Shi Y, Cidlowski J. 2007 Selected Papers from the 2005 Annual Meeting of the International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research (ISICR): Interferons and Cytokines. Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers.
4. Liu X, Pestka S and Shi Y. Recent Advance in Cancer Research and Therapy. Elsevier 2012.
1. Shi Y, Ren G, Zhang L. Method for modulating immune responses using stem cells and cytokines. US Patent App. 12/362,847.